Am I a bad person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sound like it should work for now I was just asking to see if the original problem wasnt stemming from them waking up and pecking before you were up.

Good Luck
Henry

If you are worried for your hens, I say get rid of your roosters, and only keep 1-2 roosters. Do you need that many roosters? I mean, for different breeds and stuff I can understand, but they aren't seperated, so I don't
idunno.gif

that's the problem, my dad says we have to wait until spring, but the meat will be tough and stringy by then! this is all in efforts for the roo's wellbeing, and the hen's too. I don't want deadly or painful (to a rooster) roosterfighting.

I have too many roos in with my flock so I have separated two who were causing lots of trouble into their own space. They have plenty of room, food and water but are separate from the flock till I can find them homes. Mine caused trouble at night when they all first went in to roost but then again, I had too many roos. I would find them homes before confining them like that but that is just my opinion.
And no, that does not make you a bad person. You were trying to help your flock the best you knew how and you did ask for help.

Last edited:
How about sell or give away some of your roos. Its not fair to them to be squished inside small crates at night. And if you keep all your roos locked up, whats the point in having any?

they aren't always locked up. they get allday freerange, where i can run out to separate squabbles, but it doesn't happen all that much outside than inside.

Quote:
Mine did that too but I had too many roosters. Get rid of some of the roosters! My hens are much calmer now. Used to be that when they went into the coop at night it was bedlam!! Now I even get more eggs.

I just started separating my SLW cockeral, Mr. Napolean b/c he is relentless w/ the girls. I have one sweet submissive EE pullet that has a bare saddle spot and some of the rest of the girls started loosing feather this month. I checked for 2 weeks straight to make sure it wasn't critter related. I have one cockeral and 15 pullets, so the ratio should be good. I don't want to get rid of him, so he free ranges all day and stays very close to the run. If I let the girls free range, then I put him in the run. He stays in the run after the girls coop up at night. I bring him into the coop when I'm ready to turn out their light at bed time and he settles on the roost and they all go to sleep. The other day when the wind kicked up and it hailed, I just brought him in the house to get him out of the elements. I will be making him a bachlor pad/run. If it's dark in your coop, your roo should sleep.

I just started separating him this week, but the girls do seem calmer. I am anxious to see how fast they grow their feathers back. Good luck! I know it's frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom