Am I a crazy man with a gun?

OK......the real test is who has read the sequel to Old Yeller?

Test of knowledge will be what happened to Jumper?
Didn't know there was one, I'll have to check it out.
I just recently found out there was a Where the red fern grows 2 movie, plan on watching that soon. I don't think 2 was based on a book though .

I've used both .22 rifle and 12gauge for predator elimination. And a muzzle loader and my .308 deer rifle for coyotes. Its pretty much whatever is easiest to access in the heat of the moment lol.
Now @Noobihen when you say AR-22 I think you are referring to a .22 rimfire in the AR platform? Just wanted to clarify that beings some of mentioned it as the -15. Which is a .22 caliber also and not a high powered rifle anyway but definitely not the little rimfire.
And no I do not sit out and keep watch, don't have time for that. I mostly just say a prayer for the birds to be safe, been working pretty good so far ;)

If you are in the country (rural), where people nearby are not at risk, I do not see any problem with guarding your flock. Had 2 loose large dogs wipe out my flock of around 20 young birds several years back. Asked a law enforcement officer at the time what I could do about something like that in the future. He said that a person (meaning me in this instance) had the right to protect his property. Which to me meant that if I caught the dogs doing it again that I could be judge, jury, and executioner. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending upon how you look at it, I believe the dogs' owner put them down, or found a way to restrain them after the first event. Each person has to live with their own conscience when it comes to dealing with personal property and the laws of nature. But to make a short story long, I don't think you are doing anything wrong as long as you are not putting other people at risk.

He said that a person (meaning me in this instance) had the right to protect his property. Which to me meant that if I caught the dogs doing it again that I could be judge, jury, and executioner.

SSS, Or shoot, pile where the vultures can eat and shut up.

I love dogs to a fault, but wouldn't tolerate someones elses untrained animals destroying my property. I have found a few like that out here and when I found their owners they told me to shoot their dogs if they were a problems. After leaving I felt as if the owners were the ones needing a beating. Some people shouldn't have animals or kids, but normally have both!

Am I the only person in the world that sits outside every day with my AR-22. And my border collie, And babysits my chickens and ducks? I've seen coons, possum, hawks, even a few coyote in the woods behind my house. I see people posting here all the time about attacks and death. I couldn't handle it. From about 2:00 after work until dusk they get range time, if I dont do it I feel too guilty.

It's got to get draining. I know because I haven't really slept well since I got these critters. as I was putting up the run and coop(before they were out there) all the raccoons and opossums started coming around. I started hearing the Owls at night. I was like you got to be kidding. Then they got out there and I noticed zip ties being removed(I used zip ties and screws/bolts). Then five feet away the bottom of a bag chewed up. I ordered the electric fence that night. From that night forward my dog has access to go out all night long. He only barks when he sees stuff. Can't even count the raccoons that tried coming down the trees and he got them right back up. My white vinyl fence covered in paw prints from him jumping at the fence. Then when I was putting up the electric fence I got to the gate and there was blood all over with scratch marks. I had left hardware cloth exposed and it ripped up whatever was trying to get in and they seriously tried.

Even with hardware cloth from top to bottom and out on the ground two feet, heavy duty netting, hardware cloth around bottom of coop in the run, electric fence around the run(7 wires) and a damn good guard dog, I still worry about them and check on them often.

I probably should say I would hate to harm another animal. Even a raccoon. I did have a hawk land on my ducks back once. But it dove wierd into it and put its head thru my basement window. It was still on my duck but stunned. My border collie grabbed it by its tail feathers and pulled it off. That's when my staying craziness began.
I feel so bad but at the same time I can't help but laugh at the hawk landing weirdly and crashing into the window :gig

I probably should say I would hate to harm another animal. Even a raccoon. I did have a hawk land on my ducks back once. But it dove wierd into it and put its head thru my basement window. It was still on my duck but stunned. My border collie grabbed it by its tail feathers and pulled it off. That's when my staying craziness began.

we also sit out with our chickens with a gun handy....sick of them being eaten by bears n coyotes and...I shot the raccoon going after an other 1 it killed! so nope...I don't think you are crazy or nuts...we just gotta protect the birds we love so much! peace out~

i don't see the problem having a gun handy for predator control,

now i find it very weird with the AR though maybe because i live in Canada and there in the restricted class of weapons (same as most handguns) and can only be used at a range and not to hunt with or fire on private property.

Lol,,, well crazy man with a gun,,, I live in a heavily wooded area in BFE Oklahoma and we have all those same wildlife. I've seen each and everyone of them with my own eyes, but usually at night, except the hawks and bald eagles. Yes, I said bald eagles. Beautiful, but hard on small farm critters. My coop is locked up like Ft. Knox with 2 foot wide hardware cloth stapled to the bottom and buried around the entire perimeter to prevent digging. No breaches as of yet. They have a large run yard that is also fenced over the top to prevent those preditors birds. We are very cautious since we have already had an issue with a neighbors unattended dog, which got hauled to the pound after killing almost my entire flock. They bought me a while we flock, but I still had to start over with all the hard work of chicks and it's just plain heartbreaking to loose your babies. Although most of those preditors are nocturnal, it isn't unheard of to get ambushed during the day. As a matter of fact, last week the hubby went out around 7am to cut them loose, but before he opened the gate, he was inside the coop checking food/water and all of a sudden they gang came squawking and stampeded back in the little hatch door. So he poked his head out the front door to see what was up. There on the outside of the run yard fence was a full grown bobcat staring at the duck pool only about 12 feet away from him. He bowed out his chest and took a couple steps toward it before it vanished into the treeline. So of course, we now have our pistol on our belt and rifle in hand when we're outside. We assume the Bobcat was camped out overnight just waiting for an easy breakfast. Thank goodness it worked out to our favor. You just never can tell what wildlife might be up to. Something we do that started as entertainment for us while out working around the farm,,, we always turn the radio on just off the carport. And of course the birds like it, but I also think it might keep some of the wildlife at bay. But just fyi,,, I don't think your nuts. We have a lot of time and money tied up in those crazy little birds and they sure are good entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom