1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dolphin92, Jan 17, 2015.

1. dolphin92

dolphin92 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This "pullet" is about 25 weeks old. Just past week it is changing and I think it's a roo. What do u all think?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    It is a RR or a red sex link, or a mixed mutt, but definitely beautiful bird. My birds looked like this also and I had questions as you do. until they were answered. They started laying eggs. But prior to that I had my doubts. If it cockadoodles, then it points to roo. But I had hens cockadoodle at times. Maybe they were stuck between good and evil. LOL .. It is easiest to tell by their behavior . My pullets looked just like your pictures. Maybe I should steal your pictures and claim them to be of my birds, LOL

1 person likes this.
  3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I need a ground full body pic.

I am thinking it's a hen.It has no real rooster tail,plus,I have delt with cockerals,they crow around maybe 4 weeks or 6 weeks....

1 person likes this.
  4. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    It is not a RIR,possibly PR,like you said,or mutt.She also could be a Red ranger,they look big and something VERY/EXACTLY like that.......

5. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Nor is it a redsexlink...

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The range of age at which a cockerel first might crow can range quite widely from the age you have experienced to several months.

7. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you get a naturally lit, full body side shot? Photo #3 is hinting at dark, glossy patches on the wings - but there are none of the more lit photos showing the same area to compare and determine if it's just lighting or true color. Would like to see the saddle feathers as well.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You beat me to it! I agree, we need a side shot with natural lighting.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    We need a full side-profile photo in order to accurately sex your bird. With these photos, I'm leaning towards cockerel, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by