Ameracauna but ??

Wow, he is gorgeous! I'm such a fan of barring/cuckoo colors, but I really like it mixed with other colors, not just the black barred birds. I've heard the blue can muddy the barring/cuckoo and make it harder to see, I see that on him. I'll bet he makes beautiful babies!

Wow, he is gorgeous! I'm such a fan of barring/cuckoo colors, but I really like it mixed with other colors, not just the black barred birds. I've heard the blue can muddy the barring/cuckoo and make it harder to see, I see that on him. I'll bet he makes beautiful babies!
He's been throwing red ladies with barred feathers here and there (crossed with RSL) or white girls with feathered feet and black leakage (crossed with white Leghorns, not much else they could be). They lay an absolutely gorgeous deep brown egg, but one that has less red undertones in it than a standard Marans egg. Dusky brown, maybe?

I have one cockerel from this years' clutches, but I don't think he's out of the Marans because he doesn't have feathered feet.

I need to get rid of him in the spring, sadly. He's just a bit rapey for my taste--drops his wing for about half a second and then grabs the back of the head and jumps on. I'm getting hens with bald heads. He gets to stay until spring because I only have one other boy to watch for hawks, but once my AM cockerels mature he's outta here!

Last edited:
Wonder if the white hens are hiding cuckoo that would show up on their male offspring, that's just hidden due to the dominant white? Not sure if it works that way, but it could be cool to see next year.

Too bad the pretty doesn't always go with the good temperament/courting! I know what you mean, if they're not nice to the ladies they're outta here. I've been very fortunate with my latest line of roosters, they've been very respectful of me and good guys to the hens. I've got some up and coming boys, we'll just see how they do, who stays and who goes in the pressure cooker. Love me some chicken enchiladas!

Wonder if the white hens are hiding cuckoo that would show up on their male offspring, that's just hidden due to the dominant white? Not sure if it works that way, but it could be cool to see next year.

Too bad the pretty doesn't always go with the good temperament/courting! I know what you mean, if they're not nice to the ladies they're outta here. I've been very fortunate with my latest line of roosters, they've been very respectful of me and good guys to the hens. I've got some up and coming boys, we'll just see how they do, who stays and who goes in the pressure cooker. Love me some chicken enchiladas!

mmm, enchiladas. You should totally PM me your recipe for Nasty Rooster Enchiladas!
droolin.gif

So I did some single matings this spring with the roo in question to clarify what genes he could be carrying and I've deduced that he must be a sport from a blue wheaten Ameraucana. Only 1 egg hatched from the dozen I bought…what are the odds?!
Heres some pics of his offspring when mated to a BTB Marans. I also did a couple crosses with a BLR Wyandotte but I didn't keep the greatest notes and with everything coming out blue I don't know for certain which ones they are..hahaha. Most are feather legged but some are clean so that narrows it down a bit. These are some of the more beautiful crosses I've seen!

Very feather legged, approaching Cochin or Brahma status!

This pullet has the BTB look but also has blue throughout and the girl creeping in from the left is also another variety of the cross…girl on the left is the same one in the following pic I believe.

I'm keeping this roo for a future project. The last pic is of his brother…you can really see the differences in their lacing. He is quite a sight now from when this pic was taken!

Back
Top Bottom