Ameraucana & Cochin Experts! Help sex these babies! TONS of Pictures!

arwmommy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
California
OK, so we have Bantam Cochin and Ameraucana chicks that I need help sexing!
They are all 5 weeks old exactly...

First, some samples of what the boys look like:

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Samples of what the girls look like:

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

Now, the babies in question!!
I have no idea what the Ameraucanas are supposed to look like, as these are our first.

This is #1- A bit pinker than the others, but no comb height.
IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

This is #2- Girl?
IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

This is #3- Girl?
IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

Now, two Cochin babies that I can't figure out. The first is wishful thinking because I really want a blue Cochin (all the other blues are clearly boys
sad.png
) Comb is a bit pink, but comb height is the same as the girls, and the other blue boys' combs are clearly much redder and much bigger.

This is #4
IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

Another Cochin-- same thing-- a bit pink, but comb height is the same as the other girls.
This is #5
IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

OK guys, what do you think?????

Last edited:
Also, I need to know soon, as the boys are going within 48 hours! I would hate to give away a girl by accident! Thanks you guys!

If any show redness, I say boys, they could just have small combs or be slow to mature. Also, if you look by the tail, kinda where the thighs are but right on the edge of the back and thigh, I think there should be shiney saddle feathers showing up by this age. Look at the roos to see if they have saddle feathers and if they do, go through all of your chicks you are unsure of and see of they have it.

If you can post photos of the entire body front and side view that is a better way to give an educated guess at the sex. Just a shot of the comb is often useless in identifying young chicks unless you have a eye trained to a specific breed and even then you can make a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom