Ameraucana egg colors? Getting one over the other?

coffeefanatic3462

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
I have two Ameraucanas, I know that they lay different colored eggs like blue and green, but I just get green eggs. Is there a way to get them to lay different colors? Like blue for a change? Or does it just depend on the chicken? Or the enivornment; the season? Just curious...thanks!

They lay what they lay. There is no changing. I have 7 of them now and they all they a blue/green color and I will be adding 6 more in 12 days. I can't wait to see what they lay.

It is just depends on the chicken ..
jumpy.gif

Quote:
It's just genetics. I do not think there is any way for you to change it in your current hens.

If you want blue eggs, it just means you'll have to find someone who breeds for the blue-eggs. If you cannot find one who sells blue-eggers, you can always breed your Ameraucanas to a white egg-layer(Leghorn, etc) and the resulting Easter Eggers "should" lay blue eggs. They will no longer be Ameraucanas though, they will be Easter Eggers(EEs).

LOL. It's just an opportunity to get more chickens, or have a breeding project.

I just hatched out a bunch of chicks in February that were from Ameraucana hens being covered by a Rhode Island Red(brown egg-layer breed) and a Light Brown Leghorn(white egg-laying breed) so I "should" have both olive-green and light-blue eggs. I have a friend who breeds her Ameraucanas with her Marans and gets a really dark green egg, they are pretty cool.

It's genetics, sorry you didn't get the colors you want. Maybe you can get some more friends to add to your flock. LOL
wink.png

-Kim

Most of my Ameraucana lay blue/light blue eggs, but one of my youngsters that just started laying has oliveish green eggs. I caught my 7 yr old daughter throwing these green eggs away as she was collecting them. I asked her why she was doing that and she said "because they look rotten, Mama!" When I explained that they are just green instead of blue and that they were fresh since we collect everyday, they're fine! It was a funny moment!
tongue.png

Here's an example of each color I collect everyday!
Kidsdogschickenseggs090.jpg

Last edited:
I have one who lays a pinkish color , another lays the green, and two others lay a beautiful blueish-green. newchickowner that looks like what I get but add the pinkish and white.

Quote:
Ooooh how pretty! Actually, just today I got a light blue egg ^.^ I was so happy! I knew that the previous owner had gotten that olive green and the light blue as well, but when I got them I always had the olive green. Well, except for today; I got a green and a light blue ^_^ I love that pink color <3 So beautiful!

Haha...rotten eggs..xD Cute ~

Back
Top Bottom