ameraucana Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awalters0815, Aug 13, 2010.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    1. Are they good layers?

2. Are they friendly?

3. Would you recommend them?

My only other experience is with golden comets. We recently lost a couple and have the opportunity to buy 5 ameraucanas that just started laying.

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I know they lay blue, green, or cream eggs, depending on the bird. Other than that, I know nothing because I have never owned them.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I'm betting your being offered Easter Eggers not true Ameraucana's...not many people would part with 5 ladies just starting to lay from a true Ameraucana pen.EE's are what hatcheries and feed stores sell as Ameraucana's as well as many "breeders" however they don't meet the breed standard. Most of them will lay a greenish blue egg some lay white brown or pink as well.
    They are a mix "breed" so all the questions you have are it depends on the hen herself and what is in there as far as breeds go.In my own EE experience they are very reliable layers, some are friendly some are not.
    True Ameraucana's have to meet the breed standard www.ameraucana.org they don't lay off color eggs and are bred by breeders and never a hatchery.Egg reliability is iffy ours like to go broody when I need them the most but when they are not broody do respectably well.Friendly-have found different colors are more friendly than others for instance Wheaten/Blue Wheaten is very docile and nice Silver's are more flighty and leave me alone attitude.
    Since we breed EE and Ameraucana's here I recommend both..if your just in for pretty eggs you will be just as happy with an EE as the Ameraucana Neither are as reliable as your sex links were though on a whole but you may find a great hen from either that is.

4. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Quote:Thank you for you thorough response. If they are easter eggers, that's fine. I am not going to breed them. Will a broody EE hatch a clutch of eggs and raise them?

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- I've had ameraucanas and cochins and orps all go broody, and I 've been making my own EEs with ameraucanas & orps & cochins- so I'm sure some would go broody. It all depends on the individual bird. Some breeds are supposed to never go broody, but there are always a few that will. Both EEs & ameraucanas are a joy to have in the flock.
    I'd go for it [​IMG] Get yourself a welsummer or a marans as well, and you'll have a really colorful egg basket.

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I've never had an ameraucana go broody. I would highly recommend them because they are amazing birds! EE or ameraucana. I have a pet EE hen that comes when you call her name she is soo sweet she is like a dog!

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I agree EE's are wonderful birds to have around...even if you decide to breed there is nothing wrong with breeding EE's they are one of our best selling chicks here.
    We have had EE's go broody this year..she hatched from a broody herself..then again we had a white leghorn go broody and hatch 9 chicks this year as well...never say a breed can't go broody there will be a hen to prove you wrong
    Our Ameraucana's also have a few broody ladies in the bunch.
    I agree with HappyMtn get a variety just for a fun basket of eggs..there are so many great breeds out there.Also a variety of color in the hens always makes super eye candy when your looking out your window.
    My motto is there is NO bad chicken to have around..maybe that's why we have so many

8. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    My EE's are the perfect chickens. I get blue, and green eggs so far. They are very friendly and get along well. I highly recommend them. You wont be sorry.

9. scruffysmom

scruffysmom Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    I have 2 EE hens that lay 5-6 eggs per week. That is until one went broody, but her eggs didn't hatch, so she adopted my 3 and 4 week-old Royal Palm turkeys. She's not overly friendly but takes good care of the little turkeys.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay I'm sorry to burst a bubble but is this asking about Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers? I'm assuming Easter Eggers?

Yes they're good and all, but being crossbred, they vary a LOT. For example, my oldest EE hen I got from a hatchery, sold as an "Araucana/Americana" and, well, she's not the best. She's got a couple genetic problems that caused her to get crooked toes, egg laying problems including slim production and fragile egg shells, and her personality is not the best at times. Also she's gone through a prolapse before.

But, I also have healthy Easter Eggers too. (they're my own creations, not hatchery based though.)

As for real Ameraucanas - GREAT birds! Mine began laying at 21 weeks exactly, they all have wondrous personalities, they all lay brilliant blue eggs and even for pullets, the eggs are of good size. Also, I can depend on one to give me about 4 eggs a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by