Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I think it means you have an empty pen that needs some new occupants.........

[​IMG]
    I'm currently hunting for some bantam Araucanas in Buff, Red and Splash to fill it with... shh! [​IMG]

2. Sarplaninec

Sarplaninec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Rock Hill, New York
    Quote:I love these. Where can I get some like these?

3. greenpixies

greenpixies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Natchitoches, LA
    Hi!

I'm a real newbie with chicks/chickens. I have 14 chicks that are 3 weeks old as of yesterday. I wondered if any of you Americauna folk could tell me more about the breed, as far as their personalities?

I have 7 Silkies, 3 Brahma Standards and 4 Americaunas. They all came from Ideal Poultry and the Americaunas are the only ones that did not come with color choices. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will include and perhaps someone can tell me more about them.

So far the Americauna's seem the most independent, most eager to fly, and very curious! I would like to hear as much as possible about their personalities. Are they one of the more gentle breeds, as I read? Would they be good with children, like the other 2 breeds? Do they take to taming and holding? And any thing else you can tell me.

Thanks so much in advance![​IMG]

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:Hi GreenPixies, Welcome!

I was new, not so long ago, especially to EasterEggers and Ameraucanas (hint, no "I" in true purebred Ameraucanas)
    It will take you some research, but pretty sure you may have easter eggers, which are any number of crosses with Ameraucanas.
    You will find that both EEs (Easter Eggers) and Ameraucanas are great chickens to have around.
    The real difference between the two, Ameraucanas breed true, they come in standard colors and so you know what colors you should get, they should lay blue eggs.

lots more than that, I am still learning, go back a few posts or go to the ameraucanas breeders club and dig around there.

regardless, I am excited to see your chicks, there is another thread for showing off your Easter Eggers and I am on that one too!

best of luck to you.

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
  6. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    I would like to see some of everyones pure blue ameracanas

7. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:Question for you all. I have 5, 6-week old chicks that I thought were Blue Wheaten but I noticed that the suspected cockerels are not as blue as I'd expect them to be at this age. Would a BW be mostly blue by 6 weeks?

How can I tell if they are SW's? A few look very similar to this photo.

Are SW's an accepted color variety?

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  8. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    This is my black roo then his 3 splash hens and one white
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Question for you all. I have 5, 6-week old chicks that I thought were Blue Wheaten but I noticed that the suspected cockerels are not as blue as I'd expect them to be at this age. Would a BW be mostly blue by 6 weeks?

I'm new to Ameraucanas this year. I have two Blue Wheatens, a cockerel and a pullet, from Jeremy and one Silver from John Blehm. They are such sweeties!

Here are a few pics of my BW cockerel:

[​IMG] 5 weeks old with his sister who is 3 weeks here.

[​IMG] 7 weeks old (he has his tail down because he is not thrilled to be posing for the camera)

[​IMG] 14 weeks old. One of my most recent shots of him.

10. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA

I'm new to Ameraucanas this year. I have two Blue Wheatens, a cockerel and a pullet, from Jeremy and one Silver from John Blehm. They are such sweeties!

Here are a few pics of my BW cockerel:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/55754_cosettelemondrop1may2011.jpg 5 weeks old with his sister who is 3 weeks here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/55754_lemondropa15may2011.jpg 7 weeks old (he has his tail down because he is not thrilled to be posing for the camera)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/55754_june29ld2011.jpg 14 weeks old. One of my most recent shots of him.

Thanks Debi! These pics really help! Your boy still looks much darker than mine do.

I am going to take some photos of them tonight.

Your first pic had me laughing because I actually have 1 little pullet from the hatch and the size disparity between her and her hatch-mates looks just like your photo. She hatched from a very small, round egg but because it was so blue I decided to set it anyway. At first I thought she just was having failure to thrive but alas, she's 6 weeks old, fully feathered and eats way more than her siblings. Did I mention she is the loudest too? I've named her Minnie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by