Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
No you were not rude. I am easy going. The little one is out of my Ameraucanas, the father was a wheaten/silver cross and mom is solid white.

Sorry to have to say it, but since it's a mix of three different varities, Ameraucana breeders would consider it an EE; and that's even providing it did not descend from the mongrelized stock sold by hatcheries and feed stores. If you do a little reading and research on prior posts here you will understand why I say that. Many seem to get hurt feelings when they are told they have an EE, so please don't be upset. It's important for people to learn the difference between EEs and Ameraucanas, and there are threads here at BYC for either.

No I'm not upset, I have been raising animals way to long to wear my feelings on my sleeves. Also, I appreciate any knowledge I recieve concerning breeds I do not have a base knowledge in. I like to say as a person we do not stop learning until we are dead. At least my patients get a laugh when I say this line. So please do not worry about upsetting me. Trust me if a gun pointed in my face as I deliveried a baby does not phase me then then a little chicken knowledge will not bother me as well.
big_smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Thank you!!! I love seeing him; he is such a beautiful roo. I miss him very much. I do hope you make OE's, that would be so fun to see!

Did you ship her your rooster?

~Aspen​

No, she is a local.
smile.png

Quote:
The muffs and beard come from the one gene, but I've found that chicks with only copy for muffs/beards are somtimes hatched with such scant muffs and beard that they don't develope the three seperate lobes of feathers. I'm developing a bird that is very much like an Ameraucana but twice as large and much more meaty, so naturally the first generation has only one copy of some of the characteristics that Ameraucanas should be pure for. Here's a 13 1/2 week old cockeral [with adult EE and Black Ameraucana behind it] to demonstrate what one copy for muffs/beard can look like; though occasionally some do have full muffs/beard with only one copy for it.

44349_chickens_083.jpg

Quote:
A true Porcelain is a Mille Fleur w/lavender.
wink.png
You require mottling too to get what you want.

But yes, people are breeding Lavender to black (
lol.png
) for improvement but also to Wheaten to create Lav Wheatens.

Quote:
Here is a link to look at the colors: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

I have one that is not friendly and acts like I'm killing her (I was told it is a "her") when I catch her to put her in the pen. I can't find a color like hers under the "color list". She was born the middle of July. She's getting dark gold/tan all over her chest now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99592_img_2312.jpg

That's because she's an Easter Egger
smile.png
Although her leg color is correct, her plumage color is fairly common in EE's, unrecognized with Am's, and takes some tricky breeding to create with Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom