American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Joey, I am trying...but they are a stubborn lot...they would rather play "catch me" than work. [​IMG] SHHH, don't tell them I have live worms, then they will try to find the farm and rip it apart.....I have my shoe-box farm from Alvin. It is going GREAT and making worms like crazy. Could you just imagine 6-7 birds in that shoebox feasting on them...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    AND, I am coming over for breakfast one of these days....you seem to have ALOT of cereal at your house! I bring milk.....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    P.S. Poor coco crispii .....[​IMG]

Quote:Hey Sue, you mean none of those gremlins of yours help you out with your chores to earn their treats??? I think you should try the live mealworms instead of the dry ones....oh, and you need to crack the whip too. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Would that be nice if you can get those gremlins of yours to do all the chores for mealworms??? LOL.

Yes, you are right on my birds being yummie, I bred them to suit my taste!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cocopop project:

Dad, "Coco Crispii"
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_img_1242032.jpg

Son, I was thinking of name him "Snap" and his 2 brothers "Crackle" and "Pop". Then I received the sad news from Cara that Coco Crispii died couple days ago so I named him Coco Crispii Jr. in the memory of his dad instead of Snap. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_jp1_11_15_11_010.jpg

2. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

4cats3kids1hubby2many Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:Oh, very good question. Mine Seramas are refusing to come outside. I am setting up a light bulb for light in their coop...they have a heat bulb...but it really does not put off good light. I was wondering about vitamin D also.

that is for sure. We are going to rig a daylight bulb in their part of the coop to give them some light. I have moved all food and water inside. At night there is the heat lamp, which is doing a good job, and during the day I will turn on the day-light bulb. They have a 6x 8 covered area that is surounded with hay bales to come outside...but they are having nothing of it. The 2 cochin banties with them won't even come out. Their outside ground is free of snow...but they won't come out. LOL. spoiled rotten birds.

3. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Interesting thought there docfrye.....My indoor bird sits in front of a window during the day...but I don't know if thats enuf...hope someone wise has an answer......[​IMG]
    Quote:

4. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:Hey bobby: You said in another post (I have lost it now) that you grew mealworms? how do you go about doing this? is it easy? this is probably a good idea for me too. I have no access anywhere here for them. I meant to ask/comment earlier and forgot. I'm loosing my mind.

I could also go to BYC and look through there on how toos I am sure...I am just lazy...get it straight from the source. [​IMG]

5. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:
    Keep reading Froggie....there are some good information posts after Doc's.

6. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    bobby has been doing it for awhile now so he should be able to help you out with those worms ! [​IMG]
    Quote:Hey bobby: You said in another post (I have lost it now) that you grew mealworms? how do you go about doing this? is it easy? this is probably a good idea for me too. I have no access anywhere here for them. I meant to ask/comment earlier and forgot. I'm loosing my mind.

I could also go to BYC and look through there on how toos I am sure...I am just lazy...get it straight from the source. [​IMG]

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    CARA......OHMYGAWD......TOTAL eye candy!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Not to worry, remember the old saying: "The shoemaker wears the worst shoes" ........[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:Oh, I so want him. I have to be patient and wait. I just don't have place to put new birds yet...and I have 3 inches of snow on the ground. [​IMG] I will get to this spring. they are gorgeous.

eta: for spelling error. I am a medical transcriptionist and I have lots of short cut keys for words. Well pt=patient. typed it and I did not even realize it. LOL.

9. bobbyc1970

bobbyc1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    I got mine from ebay. 1000 mealworms. got a 3 drawer container from walmart. put oatmeal in there for a substrate and wow they took off. The chicks and serama love them. i have like thousands now and feed them to the chicks and teenagers alot

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    hi tigerrrrrrrrrlilly my wife says hi ! how are things going it was a pleaser meeting you and your DD . hope we can do it againe sometime .

Hi Ray! I really had fun meeting your family. I hope we get to hang out more again soon after I have the baby and get moved. Give Julie a hug for me and tell her she is awesome. I'm gonna PM my # so we can keep in touch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by