American serama thread!

Quote:
Thanks Chaili, they do have faults in some area if you look at them closely. Below are couple pics of the type of malaysian serama I am aiming for, they were what attracted me to serama in the first place, not the extreme. I will point out the plus and minus in both of my birds for you and some of the malaysian serama main characteristics.

34472_malaysia_serama.jpg
34472_71177_176281688927_3934308_n.jpg

Main characteristics of Malaysian seramas
1) short body
2) S shape body type
3) high large chest
4) large fan tail
5) small in size
6) long legs

34472_jp1_09_18_11_018.jpg

Aragorn has short body, large fan tail, tight feathers, long legs and large chest.....but lack of an S shape where his neck & chest are to make his chest look higher, comb & wattles are a bit large and also a tad long in the back.

34472_jp1_11_16_11_003.jpg

Arwen has an S shape body, small comb & wattles, high large chest, short back, small frame (she is an A class).....she lacks large fan tail, short body, needs longer legs.

34472_jp1_07_03_11_003.jpg

This picture show you what an S shape body look like. The cockerel is Arwen's full brother Little B, both have the same body type.

It took me almost the whole weekend to make my decision, they should complement each others faults and produce some good offsprings for me to use in my Malaysian serama and/or American serama projects. I am hoping she will lay well for me, her first time was on and off.
fl.gif

I like Johnny too......personally, I would like to at least test mate or mate each of my bird before I send them packing. Are you sure you want to hold on to them until yr old??? I know you, you will be too attach to them and you won't send them packing.
wink.png
lol.png

Quote:
I am new to Seramas so forgive me. This is the first I've heard of a red stripe on the legs? Is that common and/or desirable?

Yes, its common for most of the birds with yellow or willow legs color to have a red stripe down on each side of their legs, all my males do. As for desirable or not I am not sure but its sure make them look nice when you have a dark fire engine red stripe going down on a bright yellow legs though. Btw, the oegb with the white legs have them too....come to think of it, it might be a desirable trait.

Quote:
I am new to Seramas so forgive me. This is the first I've heard of a red stripe on the legs? Is that common and/or desirable?

Not sure what we are talking about here. All my yellow legged roosters have red stripe down there legs..................

I don't believe it is desirable, but it is common. The standards for yellow-legged birds say 'red on the legs/feet is acceptable'. So if it's acceptable, it is not desirable.

Quote:
LOL. You are good.

I took some photos of Bumble on my shoulder. One of them she is dozing off, eyes closed. It is so cute. I took them with my phone and I can't seem to load them onto BYC..bummer. Needless to say...she is cute and cuddly. DH sees no difference from having a parakeet, or cockatiel...or a chicken. His birds used to always be free in his house...so he is totally "in" with the whole house chicken idea. I will keep you updated.
th.gif

so is there a physical difference between Malaysian and American? new to this, so trying to figure it out- i love mine for their personality- way about any chickens i have met

Back
Top Bottom