An Ah-Ha Moment....

Chick-N-Fun

Almy Acres Farm
8 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Upstate, NY
Lately, I have been spending a lot more time watching Chicken TV.......Has anyone else ever notice that chickens don’t ever walk backwards??? Even when startled or pushed aside by their flock mates, they either jump or quickly rush forward to get away....
Does anyone know WHY? Is it because they Can’t or just Won’t????
The only time I ever see one of my chickens step back is when he/she is scratching and then steps back to forage the area...

An inquiring mind wants to know.....
Feel free to share your ah-ha moment here as well.

Last edited:
Very interesting observation. Chickens can walk backward. It's just that they generally prefer not to. I've seen a hen walk backward while trying to get herself rid of a saddle garment. I've had a rooster walk backward when experiencing a brief bout of wry neck. I've seen baby chicks move backward when playing tug-of-war with a mate over a meal worm.

I'm going to take a wild guess that chicken prefer to only walk forward because they are prey animals and they always need to be sure of seeing what lies in their path, although chickens have nearly 360 degree vision since their eyes see independently of each other.

When you think about it, humans generally don't walk backward either. It's just too awkward. Perhaps chickens also find walking backward too awkward to bother doing much.

Interesting thought! I have certainly spent more time watching my chickens lately and asking no one in particular various "I wonder why..." questions. Glad you posted yours!

Very interesting observation. Chickens can walk backward. It's just that they generally prefer not to. I've seen a hen walk backward while trying to get herself rid of a saddle garment. I've had a rooster walk backward when experiencing a brief bout of wry neck. I've seen baby chicks move backward when playing tug-of-war with a mate over a meal worm.

I'm going to take a wild guess that chicken prefer to only walk forward because they are prey animals and they always need to be sure of seeing what lies in their path, although chickens have nearly 360 degree vision since their eyes see independently of each other.

When you think about it, humans generally don't walk backward either. It's just too awkward. Perhaps chickens also find walking backward too awkward to bother doing much.
Thanks for your response. Great input!

Bet it’s prey animal driven, too. Maybe a blind spot/vision thing?

The very first "ah-hah" moment I had with chickens was early on with my second batch of baby chicks, brooded in a box on the floor. I was reaching in from above to pick them up and they were running away from my hands screeching to high heavens. The "light bulb" went on. Ah-hah! They think my hands swooping down on them is a predator! It would be better to raise the brooder up on a table and access the chicks from the side instead.

From that moment on, I began observing many other things about chicks that we do wrong when brooding them. Now, the chicks I brood are calm and friendly from day one due to other "ah-hah" moments.

The very first "ah-hah" moment I had with chickens was early on with my second batch of baby chicks, brooded in a box on the floor. I was reaching in from above to pick them up and they were running away from my hands screeching to high heavens. The "light bulb" went on. Ah-hah! They think my hands swooping down on them is a predator! It would be better to raise the brooder up on a table and access the chicks from the side instead.

From that moment on, I began observing many other things about chicks that we do wrong when brooding them. Now, the chicks I brood are calm and friendly from day one due to other "ah-hah" moments.
Absolutely!!!! Unfortunately my brooder is a 2ftx6ft metal trough.....unless I climb in there, which would scare the living sh@t out of them, I, unfortunately have to reach in from the top. There are so many things that we humans can learn from our flock!

Back
Top Bottom