Ancona Ducks

Hey everyone. I am looking for a little advice. My second duck to hatch appears to be having a tougher time than the others.
sad.png
I noticed her beak is slightly misshapen and her belly and navel are still a bit swollen. She hatched on Saturday and she's been a little standoffish sometimes by herself under the light, but still moves around when there is a commotion. I also hear a noise when I listen to her breathing, like she has a stuffy nose? Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I have had the PO "misplace" egg shipments as well. Just this past week I had 1 come all the way from Iowa & get to the sorting center an hour away, then turn around & go all the way back to the girl who sent it. She hasn't gotten it back yet, so we are still trying to figure out what is going on.

I do also ship ducklings, but have a waiting list on those right now.

Keep her and her cage very clean to avoid an infection in her navel.

I've hatched out a duckling with a very misshapen bill, much more so than that, and she ended up fine. A little funny looking, but she's a great pet. Make sure she's getting plenty to eat. If the others are running over her and pushing her out of the way, move her into a separate area with one little buddy to keep her company. It might give her a little boost to add some Sav-A-Chick vitamin mix to her water, too.

I used a little recovery food mixed with warm water and tube fed it directly into her crop like maybe .2 ml and there's electrolytes in there water. But other than that I'm trying to leave her under the light were she is warm. :fl Thanks for the input!

Here in southern Maine, I sell mine newly hatched for $10 for blacks, $12 for all other colors.
They are harder to find in this area and that's the going rate for a lot of duck breeds (other than your easy to find pekins, khakis, etc).
So I would definitely check your local craigslist and breeders and see what they charge and stay in that range.

Here in southern Maine, I sell mine newly hatched for $10 for blacks, $12 for all other colors.
They are harder to find in this area and that's the going rate for a lot of duck breeds (other than your easy to find pekins, khakis, etc).
So I would definitely check your local craigslist and breeders and see what they charge and stay in that range.
Learycow- Are you only breeding with your blue drake and b&w hen for hatching eggs?

Learycow- Are you only breeding with your blue drake and b&w hen for hatching eggs?
Right now they are the only pen I am selling eggs from, black and white hens over a blue and white drake. But they do throw other colors.

I also have tris (still undecided if I am going to use them for breeding or not), blues, lilacs, whites, and silvers. Eggs from these will be available later in the summer as I am incubating and filling some pre-paid orders with them for now.

Ok jw have u guys ever had a duckling hatch early with the yolk still attached? Could she have been to cramped in there or what? She sleep still halfway in the shell any ideas? I posted one in the hatching section too just to see if anyone knew what was wrong

Back
Top Bottom