Animals to keep to help protect chickens from predators

jackiehershfeld

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
Maryland
So I am kind of at my wits end. Yesterday we had two dogs, with collars, that I had never seen before attack my two sweet hens. My son and I had just been outside with them, had to run into get something and then two minutes later, here these dogs were and they attacked. We live in a rural area, but not one of our surrounding neighbors have any dogs.

Here's my question - Im interested in getting some kind of animals to protect my flock. I still have three silkies and four laced wyndottes and I want to keep them safe. Have any of you had success with any animals as protectors?

If you have had success with dogs, how do you train the dogs not to go after the chickens?

I really want to free range my hens, so any help would be extremely helpful TYSM!

Guns also can protect your flock. I would rather not, but in some cases it is the method you need to use. In NW Alabama, you can protect your livestock with deadly force. I haven't had to yet. I shot in the air once to scare a dog.

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I have a large place so I use dogs to protect my flocks , if another dog enters their territory messing with their birds it may not leave here same way it came. I worry more about the wild critters than a dog coming over here cause it rarely happens my dogs mark around 25 acres threw out the day when rounds are made.

I had a Pyrenees when I was younger. It took to guarding our family and our neighbor's goats by proximity. He killed a rottweiler that got into the goat pen and went after them. That's how good a guard dog they are. He jumped/climbed a 6ft fence and commenced to doing his duty. He also killed a coyote that attempted the same. I never saw it happen, just the after effects. Not a scratch on him either time. I wish I had another, but I would not be a good owner to him at this point in my life. He also didn't care much for my grandfather and would not let him out of his truck if we weren't there. They are the best of dogs. I have also heard of a Turkish LGD that apparently looks for aerial predators as well and will chase them away. The name escapes me.

I had a Pyrenees when I was younger. It took to guarding our family and our neighbor's goats by proximity. He killed a rottweiler that got into the goat pen and went after them. That's how good a guard dog they are. He jumped/climbed a 6ft fence and commenced to doing his duty. He also killed a coyote that attempted the same. I never saw it happen, just the after effects. Not a scratch on him either time. I wish I had another, but I would not be a good owner to him at this point in my life. He also didn't care much for my grandfather and would not let him out of his truck if we weren't there. They are the best of dogs. I have also heard of a Turkish LGD that apparently looks for aerial predators as well and will chase them away. The name escapes me.
two of my Pyrenees and my Rottweiler will chase off ariel preditors day and night. you are correct they are the best farm dog to have if the conditions are wright, i love my dog so much they are my friends as well as my helpers.

Miss Annie at 3 months

Puppy in training with the lead dog

This is Gracie she is my critter getter, if they enter the safe area she takes them out, i find dead snakes pretty often

An unwanted early morning visitor, he gone

Back
Top Bottom