Announcing A Brand New Buy Sell Auction System!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
To clarify, I think Charlie is saying "new" websites are cheap.

I will gladly pay anybody $5,000 if they can legitimately find a way to run BYC (with the amount of visitors and processes / CPU / Memory it uses) for $29.00 a year.
big_smile.png

Send me a pm if you have experience in this area and think you can pull it off.

gig.gif
Problem is I know about how much it takes to run a board. Very dear friends of mine run one out of their house with their own host, software, etc and it still costs them quite a bit every month for those of us on the board to have the privilege to talk to each other in a secured troll free area. Trust me, once we can get to the point of having income that doesn't have to be spent on the basics, I'll be more than willing to pay in to use this place! For now, I'm more than happy to abide by whatever you guys deem necessary for us free users
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

And I'd like to know more about the trade/swap sections coming up. I'm planning to offer a few trades in the next week.

Ah... There's too much to read through. So, I hope I don't repeat something that has already been asked/answered...

Is there any way we can change the bid increments? The whole $.01 increment is a little silly/rude IMHO.

Can we make it so that the thread maker can decide whether or not other people can add auctions onto it with other posts? That way we can make the auction threads and such... They were kind of fun to watch, though I understand if not, since it's easier to make auctions now...

Err, I'll have to play some more in the test area before I have more questions... Lol.

Last edited:
Ok... I know this is REALLY dumb, but I just saw another locked thread in the BST section... This happened to me earlier today, and I was totally confused at first. Maybe you could put a "sticky" at the top of "recent posts" just for a little bit, until people get used to using the new auction system? I know it's at the top of the page, under the announcement section, but to be totally honest, I didn't even notice it, so some other people might be like me, and focus on what is posted under the topic section rather than the small announcement space - Sorry for being a bit thick
roll.png

On another note, I too am a GFM because I appreciate the work that goes into this forum, and if I'm able to list and sell birds/eggs, I think that's worth paying for
big_smile.png
ANYTHING is better than "other" auction sites... THANK YOU GUYS!

Quote:
To clarify, I think Charlie is saying "new" websites are cheap.

I will gladly pay anybody $5,000 if they can legitimately find a way to run BYC (with the amount of visitors and processes / CPU / Memory it uses) for $29.00 a year.
big_smile.png

Send me a pm if you have experience in this area and think you can pull it off.

I have experience in the area and while I could probably piece together a bunch of older UNIX hardware that would do it, it would be a mess to maintain and would use more than $29 worth of electricity a month.

On a similar topic, I was looking through the javascript and I see that there is settings for doing an auction with a buyitnow price. Are you planning on putting in a radio button for that?

I sure wish that you weren't using google-analytics.com to keep track of our browsing and buying habits. You should really post a privacy policy so people know that you are doing that.

Quote:
Shoot me a proposal, but that $29 has to cover the person that's going to keep those unix boxes taped together to run this site. I'll even pay for the electricity.

Regarding the auction with buy it now: That's called "best offer" and we tested it with the GFMs and we decided it was too complicated and didn't add much value.

Regarding Google Analytics: It is a fantastic application for helping us to optimize the website. You talk about it tracking buying / shopping habits, but we only track what people do on our website, and I can guarantee that 99% of the websites on the internet do that.

Oh, and we do have a privacy policy and you must have read it since you agreed to our rules when you signed up and the privacy policy is right in there. Maybe you need to freshen up on the rules?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules

Also, here is the privacy policy for anybody interested:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/privacypolicy.php

Im hopefull that this new system will work out, but i think BYC is basicly turning into e-bay when it comes to this new auction style. The reason why i come here to b/s/t on BYC is because it's more personal between you and the buyer. E-bay just makes me feal like everything is so "robotic". And with the new bidding system here, "to me" makes BYC no better than e-bay.

So im sad to see these changes, but im open to giveing it a few shot's to see how it feels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have another question. Does the '10 auction per month' limit work for the month from the 1st to the (28th, 29th, 30th, 31st)? Or is it 28-30 days from when you posted auction #1? I'm really wishing my birds weren't broody and/or molting, since today is September 30!!
barnie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom