Another freakin dog fight thread....gross/graphic pics pg 3&4

Well, overnight Tuna must have been hungry, cause he got up and ate the food I put next to him. I softened some dog food with some really thick chicken broth (from my own chickens) and he ate all of it. He was wagging and getting excited when I came over to him, although I can tell he's still in pain. I had to carry him down the steps to get him to go potty, but he came back up on his own to come inside. The dogs are 100% separated, Tuna's in my room with the door shut and sasha has been crated. Sasha's wounds have scabbed up, I haven't looked at Tuna's hardcore cause hubby has to bring the triple antiB ointment home.

I'm relieved that it isn't his bone, and I knew that there was a deeper wound there. Hubby's gonna get the penicillin stuff too.

I'm curious about the fish stuff. The official name is Fish-Mox? I'd like to get that stuff. How much do I use? Is it expensive?

Well, Tractor supply only carried Pen Aquaeus (sp?) not the Combi-pen. I don't know if it's the same stuff, or if it'll work. I found some of the fish stuff, but not sure if it's the right stuff.

Aquarium Products Gel Tek Penicillin Medication Fish Eat

Penicillin is an antibiotic that's effective against many fish diseases including bacterial infections, cloudy and bulging eyes, mouth sores, and fin rotting. Safe for plants, reef tanks, and biological filters.

Penicillin is a broad spectrum bactericidal antibiotic that exerts anti-bacterial action on susceptible organisms. It is effective against a number of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria associated with fish diseases. Use for fin rot, cloudy or bulging eyes, mouth sores, bacterial infections, and septicemia. Gel-Tek is safe for plants, reef tanks and biological filters.

It's a liquid, though, not a pill....I'm still looking for the pill stuff....

I have never had luck seperating fighting dogs with water. Once I had a 3 way fight,someone hadn't latched a gate tight, one aggressive female pushed through and attacked another female. The male got excited and joined in. I tried using a hose and then had 3 wet dogs and a big muddy mess that we were all slipping in and they kept on fighting, never even fazed them. That fight took me a long time to break up because I had no one here to help, and everytime I would lift the less aggressive female up (weighing in at 52 lbs) they would hang on or jump up to get her. I finally had to grab the more aggressive female (she was only dog aggressive, not people) and I heaved her over a 4 ft gate into another kennel.

For that reason, I will not do water again, if dogs are serious, it might not faze them, just complicate everything.

Just a fyi, these dogs were not pits and only the one was really dog aggressive, but she had come out of really abusive home. We placed her into a home with a really secure fenced yard, someone used to dealing with dog aggression and they absolutely loved her. In fact, she ended up saving their little girls life when she fell into their pool with the cover on. She jumped in and the little girl clung to her until the mother could haul them both out.

I would call around & see if you can find a vet that would let you take payments...puncture wounds can be bad because they get infected very easily and sometimes will abcess & blow out larger chunks of previously uninvolved tissue. The dog will need antibiotics, but the vet won't perscribe those without seeing the dog....but the vet also wouldn't sew those up...my dogs have fought before to the tune of a $394.00 vet bill.

If you absolutely cannot even make payments to a vet, keep the wounds clean. Your local feedstore will have medicine and a lot of the time horse medicine can suffice for a dog (read the labels, though). I've used idodine (diluted with water), mixed with Fura-zone in a clean syringe (no needle) to shove down into those holes & flush them out several times a day. You may be able to find penicillin there, but I'm not sure if they would have canine kind...

Hope this helps?

I don't have bully breeds...but two 100+pounders that knocked a huge hole in the wall & tried to do the Battle Royale in the house. It is best to let it play out a little bit because raising your voice can make it worse. Luckily, my dogs' bites were pretty clean lacerating puncture wounds (clean as in no ragged edges).The vet said she could have sewn them up but the scar on my show dog's face would have been bigger with stitches than without & my other dogs' injuries were to his eyelid (lacerated, badly & eye scratched) and the biggest owie was in his armpit--which was impossible to stitch.

I had those two for almost three years before they even fought once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby is at TC right now getting the cattle penicillin and needles, and he'll be stopping at wal mart to get the neosporin. Tuna chewed his bandage off and is licking the wound on his leg, but I'm not gonna rewrap it till I can get the neosporin on there, which will be in about 30 min. I'll let everyone know what happens!

Well, so far so good, I think. I just washed him down with antibacterial soap, sprayed it out with some saline, debrided a little with peroxide, used some betadine, and wrapped with triple antiB ointment. I have some drawing salve (called PRID) that we use on our own puncture wounds, so I put some of that on the punctures and covered it with gauze. The drawing salve will keep the wounds from scabbing up and will draw any pus or whatever out. I'm a little upset at my hubby, cause yesterday when we fixed Tuna up hubby told me that Tuna's ankle was okay, and at a glance all I saw was a little scrape. Turns out there was a puncture that went unattended all night, and Hubby knew about it being there.

It's actually almost funny, cause right now Tuna's walking around with a duct tape shoulder harness, since the bandage won't stay on with just tape. I had to put long strips all around his neck and behind his leg. Poor doggy. He freaked out about all of the stuff we were doing, and it took three of us to hold his huge butt down. We still gotta do Sasha again, I gotta shave her. I'm not sure if I wanna do the penicillin right away or wait to see if there are any problems that develop.

Anyways, just wanted to update you all. Thanks again for everything!

Something to look into for the future:

http://www.carecredit.com/

We got Care Credit to help with uncovered dental expenses and found out it also covers vet expenses at certain vets. We were able to use it when our dog Roo got ill and needed alot of medical tests.

No interest on monthly payments.

The only method that has never failed me for separating two fighting dogs is kind of gross: Insert a finger up their rear end. Don't jab it, just put it in there. Be prepared because the dog will whirl around, fast--that's when you grab it. It works best with one person for each dog. However; if you are by yourself--go for the dog winning the fight regardless of who started it. If you can, pick it up and quickly muzzle it. I love pantyhose for temporary muzzles. Keep some on hand and within easy reach like on a counter, dresser, etc. A belt, leash, rope, electrical cord, etc will also work in a pinch. Use your manufactured muzzle to prevent the fights, but don't try to put it on during a fight--it's too hard to manipulate. Pantyhose are easy, esp because they are a naturally a manageable length and they have the stretchy give.

The second thing I want to address has been mentioned before: you need a first aid kit. I have a human first aid kit; a dog/cat first aid kit; one for my horse; one for the cattle; one for the parrot and one for the chickens. Some of the stuff in these kits is prescription strength, esp in the kits for the dogs and horse. Most of it is stuff I got at the drug store: bandaging materials, ointments, etc.

If you are so forgetful: make a special trip to the store just for first aid supplies. Hopefully you'll still remember what you went for by the time you get there.

I want to show you a product that has been a lifesaver (literally) for my pets. Check out the website and review the testimonial pages/pictures. The stuff is amazing. I have several bottles on hand:

http://www.schreiners.com/

Another great product that can be used on most pets and livestock (it's iodine based):

http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/

Only asprin never Tylenol dogs can not process acetominiphen it can cause liver and kidney failure!

Redhen and Texasreb have the right ideas on how to break up fights.

I have hauled dogs that were locked up on each other to a doorway and actually had to slam the door on their heads to get them to separate. They would have started right back up had the door not been there to close.

I have also gotten a 100lb American Bulldog off one of my dogs by snatching up his legs like wheel barrel handles and turning them sideways like I was going to turn a wheel barrow around. Nice thing is they can't reach you.

Finger up the butt is guaranteed to work the quickest. Been there, done that, works real well.

Haven't had any success with any other methods with bull breeds.

Back
Top Bottom