Another sick chick

newchickwi

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Butternut, WI
I got my chicks two days ago from Ideal (they were shipped on May 5). One of my RIR started acting narcoleptic today and is now only responsive if we pick her up. She seemed to start the day fine, but has become more and more unresponsive. They are on medicated feed. She is not pasty. There is one tsp on ACV in the quart waterers. They have had egg yolk mixed with water and feed each day. I recently tried to give her some yolk mixed with water and she would not take it. I just gave her some Poly-Vi-Sol drops and am trying to drip water from a dropper into her, but she just wants to sleep standing up. I can't take her outside because we have a cold wind blowing from the North, so she is in the brooder in an isolation box under the light (at about 90*) so she can stay warm but not in contact with the others. Is there something else I should be doing or can do for her? She is so pretty and her wings and little tail feathers are coming in so pretty...This is my first time with chickens and I want to do everything I can to help her.

Thanks,
Vikki

give electrolytes... keep dribbling along the beak... seems for the rest that you are doing all the right things (makes sure it is warm enough)
If the water is clean there is no reason for the ACV...
offer some live culture yogurt ... put a wee bit in the beak everu now and then...

Last edited:
Thanks, dlhunicorn. I'll try the yogurt. Our local feed store is closed now so I will try to get electrolytes there in the morning. If they don't have them, then I'm out of luck on that since the next feed store is 50+ miles away. Here's hoping!

Back
Top Bottom