Maryam.

Songster
Dec 22, 2017
Hi,
I hope you’re all fine!
As you might know I have a 3year old female pekin called Cookie that has been having laying issue since a few months ago.
She has an unknown reproductive issue that started suddenly and cannot lay normally, her egg is shell-less and has crazy shapes. She also passes a part of the egg material through feces. Before that she laid egg normally everyday for almost 2years.
She lays once a week, sometimes every other week.. She’s completely healthy other than that.
The vets said she’ll lay like this until she won’t lay anymore, they have no precise answers that what exactly might happened to her, but anyway they have prescribed these:
Sulfadiazine+ Trimethroprim for 8hours in water for 7days
Enrofloxacin twice a day for 7days
AD3E for 10days
Oral Calcium syrup for 10days
She has been on antibiotics before, it didn’t solve the problem but this time the goal is to sterile the abdominal cavity that in case the yolk or .. was remained doesn’t cause infection (I have lost another duck to this recently) It’s kind of preventive since we’re afraid that case might repeat with cookie too.
I wanted to ask does anyone have the experience of giving their duck/hen.. sulfadiazine+ Trimethroprim and Enro at the same time? What is the side effects of strong antibiotics?
There were contradictions between the two veterinarians I took cookie to. One prescribed these; one said she is healthy (except for her laying issue that might be genetic ), she doesn’t need antibiotics just vit+calcium and these antibiotics are strong and will weaken her.
P.S. Implanting hormone is not practical in my country yet, I have researched it. Also spaying is not an option. Her problem is not calcium deficiency, as she has access to calcium 24/7.
Thank you in advance for sharing your experience/knowledge with me

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom