Any advice about helping a wild goose?

WingingIt

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Let me first start by saying I'd first like to make sure it's legal and will be calling some state offices this morning to do just that.

There is a Canada goose that showed up by our dock yesterday. They normally hang out at the end of the cove but this one is down by us instead. I'm guessing that it came in low and someone shot at it because it's right wing looks to have been burned and broken. The feather shafts are still there, but there are no 'fuzzy' parts of the feathers, if that makes sense. The front part of the wing is hanging down at an odd angle, too. I don't know if they'll consider coming out to try and catch it to help it. It walks with a bit of a wobble from the oddness of it's broken wing and it swims just fine. It's eating stuff around the bank. I'm just wondering if there's anything that you'd suggest that I could put out for it to give it some extra energy/help for it's recovery.

Thanks

I spoke to several different people at the Dept. of Natural Resources this morning. They didn't care if I left food for it but had no suggestions as to what would be good to leave for an injured one. They said that there are no rehabilitators in our county or the surrounding counties who do birds at all. They gave me the phone number of a place two counties away saying that they are the only rehabilitator in this region that does birds and I left a message there early this morning. They just called me back and they only handle birds of prey.

Do injured 'regular' geese need extra protein when they are injured, like chickens? Maybe I could at least leave something good out there for it while I keep bugging state folks.

Thanks, anyway. I appreciate the responses and I'll let you know what happens. It's across the little bay right now but hopefully it will come back this evening again.

Are there any avian vets within driving distance from your home? Perhaps you can call one and explain the situation to one of them. You might be lucky and get a kind-hearted vet who might taken him in for free. Or, if you can, perhaps you can find out how much his vet bills will cost and pay for them or offer to pay part of them.

Or, maybe you can find a farm vet that does domestic geese/chickens that could help.

Back
Top Bottom