Any advice on raising goats?

backyardfarmer83

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
I'm sure I'll get a lot of replies to this, because it's pretty much an open-ended question....

Where I live is not big enough to have goats (plus I live in the city so my neighbors probably wouldn't like the constant bleating....) and we are not in a position to move anytime soon. Does anyone know what the pros and cons are to owning goats, but having them at a different location than where I live? I can think of a few myself but the more I know the better.

Also, what are the advantages of raising goats? (Other than meat and milk)

I've heard that they'll eat just about anything, or destroy it in the process if it's not edible.
barnie.gif
Is there anyway to keep that from happening?

Thanks in advance.

My most recent con is all goats think they are free range. They spend their whole lives perfecting fence escape techniques. On a pro side they are very entertaining when they are up to no good, and they do like to eat things like brush and vines that horses etc. will not eat.

You're asking about owning goats that you won't see on a regular basis (like every day) right?

IMO it's best to have goats on the property you live on so you can see them every day. You'll need to be aware of their behavior changes, health issues and so forth. Goat's aren't really something you can just stick in a field and leave them be.

That said, though, I think goats are even better than dogs (don't hit me please!
tongue.png
) My goats give me just as much joy as my two dogs do except they live outside and not in my bed. They have wonderful personalities and you really get out what you put into them. If you aren't with them on a daily basis, lovin up on them, paying attention to them then they'll be wild and not accessible to handle in the event there's a problem.

They also aren't the most destructive animals by any means, but again, it's all in what you put into it. My goats have lots of toys in their enclosures - old little tykes play houses, a balance beam, rock piles, tree stumps - stuff they can jump on, over, go through, run around etc. They don't test their fencing and don't tear up their barn because they're preoccupied with their toys outside.

Quote:
Thanks!! That's actually what I was looking for, and it's nice to know. I figured we'd have to have them on the same property we live on, I just didn't know for sure.
big_smile.png

Just to balance it out? They are wonderfullu funny and amusing, productive critters. But they really do need 24 hour watchfullness! Nothing like trying to explain to an insurace agent that the truck damage was a hailstorm- and having a goat casually leap onto the hood of the truck right then.....
roll.png

I'm definitely a HUGE advocator of having them - and I know of people who have 2 or 3 goats on 1/2 an acre. But they do require more than most people think...they're not the tin can eating beings the television makes them out to be.

when we first had goats, they were kept at our property out in the country. I would NOT reccomend keeping them somewhere other than your own place, unless it's actually ''boarding''(on someone's property who can check on them everyday) or at a trusted friend's place. You cannot observe them, keep track of their health, make sure they're safe from predators, etc.

Once, our 3 goats got out and wandered 1/2 a mile. Luckily, they were picked up by a nice lady who kept them for a few days until we could fix the fence. They could've totally disappeared.

My main concern would be the goats' health. I lost 2 goats later on because I wasn't there to catch their illness immediately.

OH, and also, if you do get goats, get goats from a CL-tested herd.

On a positive note, goats are interesting, fun and adorable. And you will fall in love with baby goats!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom