Any Eglu Cube Owners in Midwest?

chicks4erin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Chicago Suburb
I reached out to Lady Henevere and she is still happy with her Cube https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=226864&p=1

Any
Cube owners out there that live in the midwest that are happy or unhappy for that matter with the way it performs in the winter/summer? I know I’ve read countless posts where it’s cheaper to build a wood one, etc. I know that, but for some reason I really like the maintenance aspect of the cube and how easy it would be to clean, has good ventilation and less worries about mites. I would buy the Cube by itself and then enclose it in a run similar to the runs found here, http://www.aviariesforyou.com/chicken_runs.htm

I
purchased the plans for the garden coop at http://www.thegardencoop.com , which I’m still contemplating, but for some reason I keep coming back to the Eglu Cube in an enclosed/covered run . I would use the plans from Garden Coop for the run itself. Any thoughts? I live in a suburb of Chicago so with that comes very snowy & cold winters and hot summers.

Thanks, no joke this site is addictive! My plan is to get my hen housing complete in the fall and then get my (3 to 4) chix in the spring.

Last edited:
Suggestion, build the enclosed run this summer, then design and build your perfect coop during the winter and be ready for spring with your perfect set up and not what someone else says is right for you. Don't be worried about your temps, draft-free ventilation in a nice shelter with one egg box and a roost is all you need for winter and shaded screen sided shelter with a dark roosting area is what you need in the summer. Have fun with it and let your creative side out.

Hi there,

I heard my username
big_smile.png
, and I came a-calling. I have also replied the your personal message chicks4erin.

Yes - I live in a snowy area and below are some pics, of last winter's storm. A tree fell on my eglu cube!. I managed to cut branches off the tree, so that there would be less stress on the plastic structure. The cube held up just fine!

Just for kicks - a pic of my bee hives, with the mound of snow atop !!

10034_p1020621.jpg

10034_p1020634.jpg

10034_p1020636.jpg

I have an Eglu Cube, but I'm not in the midwest. I live about an hour south of Boston.

Also, my birds are only four weeks old at the moment! Right now I have the Eglu in the garage - it's sitting on a plastic tarp, with a bunch of cardboard panels sealing off the front of the run into a transitional brooder. They'll be moving into the Eglu for real soonish... basically, as soon as I figure out where exactly I want the coop positioned.

So my setup isn't exactly helpful at the moment. If you want, though, I can keep you posted with future developments? (I'll take a picture of the Eglu Transitional Brooder once my iPhone finishes charging, if anyone's curious.)

I'm so happy to find this forum today! I was about to buy an Eglu cube but of course had to check in here first. I know it's more expensive, etc, etc, and frankly I don't mind. It's not about the money. I've had a homemade wooden coop for 2 years now and I'm looking forward to easier maintenance, and hoping I won't feel as guilty during the cold winters!

I think my 3 girls will fit happily into the cube, and I may expand by 2-3 more chicks next summer. Any experience with how many REALLY fit comfortably in there?

Thanks Issola for the awesome pics!!! We had a few storms like that in CT last year, and as my girls get older I want them to be as secure as your seem to be in there!

Issola, thank you for the pictures, I am totally sold on Eglu, now I just need to pick a color! After reading all the Eglu posts, I don't think you can beat the maintenance and durability, I don't care what all the nay-sayers say, you just can't beat it. My original plan was to get the Cube, but to try and keep costs down, I think we are going to go with the Eglu Go with just a couple hens to start in a walk-in run. Maybe next year we'll add another Go or upgrade to the Cube. The beauty of Eglu is resale as well. Thanks for all the great information. Thanks for responding to my e-mail btw, extrememly helpful! Your backyard looks idential to what mine looked like last winter, craziness.

Dybael, I would love to see pictures down the road of your set up and would also love to see your transitional brooder - thanks so much!

Last edited:
Hi there,

I heard my username
big_smile.png
, and I came a-calling. I have also replied the your personal message chicks4erin.

Yes - I live in a snowy area and below are some pics, of last winter's storm. A tree fell on my eglu cube!. I managed to cut branches off the tree, so that there would be less stress on the plastic structure. The cube held up just fine!

Just for kicks - a pic of my bee hives, with the mound of snow atop !!

10034_p1020621.jpg

10034_p1020634.jpg

10034_p1020636.jpg
I k ow this is a really old thread that I stumbled upon,but I was curious if you has any thoughts regarding the ventilation in the eglu. I have an eglu go that I bought this fall, and so far I love it. I have had wooden coops before and I like the plastic coop better. Seems to be warmer and SO MUCH easier to clean and disinfect. I didn't care about the price. I am not handy at all and have alot of time so building a coop myself wasn't an option.

My only concerns are 1) is there going to be enough ventilation?. I don't see any condensation and I clean it at least weekly so I am not worried about mold. 2) the run is clearly not predator proof. I am trying to reenforce it with hardware cloth but it is taking me forever due to no time and not handy and my fingers getting numb I the cold.

Have you had any problems with them since 2011?

Back
Top Bottom