Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

I am just getting into some light fermenting. Been fiddling with kvass over the last couple of weeks. This is our first winter on our property. Next year, once I have an established garden, I hope to get more daring.

I might try some mead pretty soon. I also have dozens of sassafras trees on the property. I am researching fermented rootbeer now.
HEY!!! 'bout time FoodFreedomNow had someone else to talk to
tongue2.gif

Welcome!

I found a recipe on pinterest, but will have to work to source the ingredients locally.

Traditional kvass is mostly beets and rye bread plus honey, ginger, etc... lots of options. It can be a bit salty. I have also been playing with fruit kvass and fermented lemonade. Blew the top off of a half gallon ball jar last week with a strawberry cucumber lemonade. It was worth it.

So I just looked up kvass. I gotta make this! And the lemonade! I never knew that you could ferment that.

Problem is, weather now is getting cold, so a bit sucky for the things that like warmth to ferment and also puts kibosh on nice cold glass of beeer....

(I didnt mean to slur that
gig.gif
)

Last edited:
So I just looked up kvass. I gotta make this! And the lemonade! I never knew that you could ferment that.

Problem is, weather now is getting cold, so a bit sucky for the things that like warmth to ferment and also puts kibosh on nice cold glass of beeer....

(I didnt mean to slur that :gig )

The short term ferments can still be done indoors. I have seen homemade light bulb food driers double as ferment boxes, just set real low. An economical option is to just throw the jars in a styrofoam cooler inside the house.

Back
Top Bottom