Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

It should just be more mild. The first batch wasn't overly vinegary, the carrot just seemed to take on a dill flavor. The second batch usually isn't as potent, and the apple flavors are sweeter and more tangy. So the hope is that the carrots tone down so the added apple shines through.

Last edited:
It should just be more mild. The first batch wasn't overly vinegary, the carrot just seemed to take on a dill flavor. The second batch usually isn't as potent, and the apple flavors are sweeter and more tangy. So the hope is that the carrots tone down so the added apple shines through.
Gotcha. Will it become alcoholic at all? It sounds almost like a melomel...

I ferment my chicken and duck feed, but I also enjoy fermenting for human consumption. Currently, I have the following ferments going: water kefir, milk kefir, (regular) kombucha tea, yerba mate kombucha tea, and lacto-fermented poblano peppers. I also have lacto-fermented jalapeño peppers and sauerkraut, finished, in the fridge. New projects include berry wine and a dark beer in primary ferment. Oh, and sourdough starter being fed daily on the counter.

Anyone else doing ferments? BTW, the chickens enjoy the fruit left over after straining the kefir and kombucha second ferments, as well as the extra kombucha scobies, too!
Im not a fanantic but I tend to perfer the alcoholic ferments. At present, have Plum, Loquat, Perssimon, Cabernet Sauvignon, Banana, Dew berry, and Strawberry wines in various stages, around 60 galllons total. Haven't tried beer making. Like sour dough but have hard time keeping the starter going....can't seem to find the "right" temp for the starter. Anyone else on here a "lil ol' wine maker?"

Im not a fanantic but I tend to perfer the alcoholic ferments. At present, have Plum, Loquat, Perssimon, Cabernet Sauvignon, Banana, Dew berry, and Strawberry wines in various stages, around 60 galllons total. Haven't tried beer making. Like sour dough but have hard time keeping the starter going....can't seem to find the "right" temp for the starter. Anyone else on here a "lil ol' wine maker?"
Welcome! I make country wine, but on a slightly smaller scale.
1f642.png
I currently have a mixed berry (mostly blueberry with strawberry, blackberry, and raspberry), orange (Valencia), and an apple cider doing their thing right now. I also have a bourbon vanilla porter in secondary ferment.

Sourdough starter (at least mine) is finicky about temperature. With the cooler weather, I keep it happy in the pantry and let it get really active on a seedling mat before I use it. The mat also works well to encourage the dough to rise.

I hope others will chime in about their ferments, too.

Back
Top Bottom