Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Aloha, I was kind of thinking that the cats go for the na'au and the mongoose goes for the head. I trapped two mongeese yesterday. We also have feral cats. I knew there was a little hole going under the wood, so it was my fault. I just have to secure them better for now on.
Mahalo for your mana'o. kden, Puhi

I just lost my two chickens too from mongoose. Both had no heads. One of them was 4 month already, so thought would be big enough to scare off the mongoose, but no. Same thing, little hole dug under the wood. I going put chicken wire on the bottom next time. How do you trap mongoose? What do you use for bait?

pretty sure a cat trap would work...i would use any kind of meat for bait
perhaps a bb gun would work too
cool.png

I have a question. How can you tell between a catʻs kill and a mongooseʻs kill? My sonʻs roo, Nutz, was on a tie out for a couple hours while my son cleaned and repaired his coop. My son fed Nutz, then went to the store and came back to find Nutz gone. All he found was feathers, his leg (that was still attached to the tie out), and a clump or two of chicken parts here and there in the yard.

At first, I thought it was the neighborʻs chihuahuas because theyʻre always sniffing and barking around in my yard, but she said her dogs donʻt eat any chickens, they kill it and play with the body. (She couldnʻt find anything resembling chicken pieces in her yard.) Then she suggested that maybe it was mongoose...but I dunno...

We live in rural Haiku, Maui and the area behind our house has an old, dried up stream bed about 30 feet from the back yard. The area is slightly overgrown with cane grass--because of the recent rains--but is usually cut low and managed. I know thereʻs mongoose everywhere, but I donʻt think they reside so close to our homes, do they?

Anyway, any ideas on determining what couldʻve killed Nutz would be appreciated. We have 10 other chickens--5 RIR hens, 1 RIR rooster, 3 young unknown pullets, and another unknown rooster--that we donʻt want to lose. The pullets and young roo we still have are about the same age as Nutz and weʻve been paranoid about letting them out of their run for fear of getting eaten...

Mahalo ~

Aloha kakou,

I used a regular animal trap from the Hardware store. Before, I borrowed them from the Hawaiian Humane Society but my wife has one from her work so we've been borrowing it. I actually caught the two with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I didn't want to eat. I had to put two pieces of wood on the side because they were reaching in through the pukas. That forced them in through the door. When they step on the bar, the door shuts.

Looking to find a good home for my silkie hens. I have a buff and a black/blue. They are pets and have never been outdoors yet. So I am looking for that right home for them. Someone who has the time to spend with them while they transition to the outdoor life and life with other chickens. They are raised as pets and are tame so they don't know how to act around other chickens, so I'm afraid they will get picked on. If you feel like you can take on this task of adopting our two beautiful hens please inbox me. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom