Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I baked some blue berry muffins this morning and started a batch of pizza dough. I might bake some bread tomorrow. I need to bake in the morning now--temps are going back up!

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Mmmm...pizza! My pizza dough recipe makes enough for 2 pizzas and we've had good luck with freezing one dough for later. Have one in the freezer right now, might have to get that made up tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder Ron!

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Do you freeze the extra as a round of dough or do you bake it up?

Our recipe is enough for three 10" pizza's, we make 2 pizza's (gotta have leftovers) and always freeze our extra as dough. And then totally forget to use it... I have 4 rounds in the freezer right now.

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We don't bake the extra dough before freezing, we freeze the raw dough.

The freezing thing turned into quite an experiment with DH (he's the one that forms our dough for pizzas). I had been just dropping the extra dough in a freezer baggie with a bit of flour but DH claimed it was too hard to toss or roll it into a circle even once it was defrosted and warm. So, what we've found works best is to take the extra dough ball, put it on a parchment covered plate, freeze it, when frozen remove the plate and put that roundish lump of dough in a freezer baggie. That way when we're ready to use the frozen dough, it's already in a roughly round shape.

Sounds simple but trust me...we had a lot of 'discussions' over how to properly freeze pizza dough. [​IMG]

(And leftover pizza IS wonderful! Even cold for breakfast the next day...at least that's what I've heard, lol.)

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

I don't do pizza as often as I would like, but love the idea of anything we can do ahead, freeze and bring out - very helpful on a busy day. Thanks for your directions.

I do freeze extra sauces in small containers to bring out for pizza use.

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm with you on freezing stuff @sunflour , makes dinner a lot easier and faster. And sauces always taste better to me after they've sat for a while, all the seasonings have a chance to really work their magic.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I freeze our extra dough in disks also, about 3" diameter and 1 inch thick. This is a good size for stability in the freezer and yet it allows them to defrost evenly - or so it seems. And when they are at room temp, they are easy to stretch to the proper size.

Edited to add: I also put them into a freezer ziplock baggie with a little bit of olive oil. The olive oil keeps them from drying out.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Happy Birthday to Julia Child (Aug 15, 1912 - Aug 13, 2004, age 91)! She was always so much fun to watch on tv and was so encouraging to the home cook ("be fearless"). So for something a little different today, here are a few quotes from Julia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I drove up to my Mom's house in the Mountains yesterday and replaced the thermostat in her oven. It had been not heating sometimes, over heating and having 40 degree temperature swings. The thermostat cost $18.00 and the oven is now fixed!

She is going to cook come chocolate chip bar cookies today as a test...and because they are very tasty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by