Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Great idea and what to do with the discarded filling …that's my favorite part of Oreos and would have to eat it [​IMG] while the cheese cake is baking.

Haven't made cheese cake from scratch, but use graham cracker crusts for lemon & eagle brand pies and jello pies. Haven't had a lot of luck with homemade graham cracker crusts - some recipes direct to pre bake the cracker crusts, wonder if pre baking the crusts helps avoid the mushy issue?

2. Zeil

Zeil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

Nonono... What a crime, grind them with the filling... Best cheesecake crust ever...

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's how I would do it too if I were using Oreos. And maybe use some broken pieces for garnish on top.

When I made a chocolate cheesecake last year, I made the chocolate wafer cookies for the crust. Now that was a crust! (And not at all mushy.)

4. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

I think mushy has to do with whether or not you bake it before the filling is put in.

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yesterday DH took the dry cupcakes and cut them into thin layers. He then layered them in an 8x8" square pan with homemade whipping cream between layers and on top. It sat in the fridge for several hours and when we tried it last night if was great! Sort of like a version of icebox cake.

It was a really good way of using up the cupcakes (and tasted better than they did in their original form).

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Wow, those sound wonderful..[​IMG]

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Is anybody entering this contest? 11647/official-byc-contest-chicken-and-egg-recipes-win-a-byc-cookbook#post_15671354

8. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD
    Have had a wicked craving for kfc, but don't like the treatment their chickens receive or the shady cooking practices, so going to be trying copycat recipes, anyone got any suggestions, or interested in results...

Bare in mind from what I understand Australian kfc is very different from us stuff.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I didn't know there was a contest like that going on. It might be fun to check out. Thanks @sunflour !

10. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Two words...

THIN MINTS.
    :D

Ohhhh myyyy now THAT makes a crust for a cheesecake... If you like minty with your chocolatey ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by