Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Yesterday baked a lemon condensed milk pie. Had everything ready, oven warmed , eggs separated and ready, and OMG did not have condensed milk.

Found a substitution using evaporated milk with sugar. So proceeded with the pie…thought it would never set up, moved it to the bottom of the oven and lowered the temp. Was bubbling ferociously and knew it had to be done. It's edible, tastes great but the texture is all wrong.

Has anyone had a successful sub for condensed milk. I only heated the evaporated milk long enough to dissolve the sugar, maybe should have heated it longer?

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I agree with you and so do the commentators on the all recipes web site.

The most helpful critical review said to gently boil( I would stir it frequently) for 20 to 30 minutes.

Sweetened condensed milk needs to be thick and it takes time for the sugar to go completely into solution--which will change the texture.

During this time of the year, I pick up extra cans of sweetened condensed milk from the canned foods store on shopping day. I never know when it will "need" to use some in a recipe.....[​IMG] Like I really need deserts....

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I made some sourdough English Muffins yesterday. They were very tasty! This morning I had poached eggs with a slice of ham on one.

[​IMG]

English muffins

1 envelope yeast 1 tsp. salt
    1/4 C. warm water 1 C. starter
    2 Tbl. yellow cornmeal 3/4 C. buttermilk
    22/3 C. flour 1/4 C. cornmeal

Sprinkle yeast over water. Set aside to soften 5 Minutes. Cover a large baking sheet with waxed paper. Sprinkle with 1 Tbl. cornmeal;
    set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 C. cornmeal, and salt; Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine starter, buttermilk and yeast mixture. Stir into flour mixture until well blended. Knead 5 to 8 minutes, adding flour if necessary until smooth and elastic. Roll out dough to 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut muffins with a 3" biscuit cutter or drinking glass. Arrange on baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover with cloth; let raise 45 minutes. or until doubled. Cook on medium heat in a slightly greased griddle. Turning often, cook raised muffins on medium hot griddle about 20 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve warm or cold. Makes 12 to 14 muffins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am making bread this morning!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @ronott1 thanks for sharing this on our baking thread! (Although I was thinking "he's taunting me with those perfect muffins, again" [​IMG]

@sunflour sorry your pie wasn't quite right, but at least it tastes good!

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I knew it, all I did was warm the milk just until the sugar dissolved.

My DH usually makes sure to have the ingredients around…he loves those lemon pies. When I decided to bake it, took a quick look and mistakenly thought the evaporated milk can was eagle brand [​IMG]. Will be more careful next time.

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Chicken poop cookies! I'm there [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Congratulations OnlyOrps!!!

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm trying a new hamburger bun recipe today. I have chicken quarters in the crockpot and that will turn into either BBQ chicken or chicken salad for the buns. Wish me luck please!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by