Any Home Bakers Here?

I love to cook and bake. Spring is coming and I am getting more eggs than I can sell. So.. here comes the angel food cake and custard from the yolks.View attachment 2038734
Are there custard recipes that use only yolks?? DD1 makes her gluten free bread that uses only whites (as does angel food cake) and chocolate truffles with the yolks.

So, i'm intrested what other things you cooks and bakers do to use up extra eggs?
Sell them
Make eggnog. I use a recipe from Baymule's (BYH) Grandma Wall. It uses a dozen eggs.
12 eggs, 12 tablespoons sugar, 1 pint cream, 12 shots whiskey or other booze (we use rum).
I don't know how long I would be standing if I put in the 12 shots. Baymule only puts in 6 and that is what I do as well. It is somewhat labor and definately mixing bowl intensive. It will separate out in the refrigerator but you can mix it back up. The booze mellows into the cream and eggs quite nicely if given the time.

Going to try cooking something for him.
You are brave!!! Or maybe you learned to cook from him?

:drool Maybe I will try a quiche!
Sadly quiche doesn't take nearly enough eggs to get rid of surplus. 4 eggs same as omelettes for two people but feeds 3 or 4.

Are there custard recipes that use only yolks?? DD1 makes her gluten free bread that uses only whites (as does angel food cake) and chocolate truffles with the yolks.

Sell them
Make eggnog. I use a recipe from Baymule's (BYH) Grandma Wall. It uses a dozen eggs.
12 eggs, 12 tablespoons sugar, 1 pint cream, 12 shots whiskey or other booze (we use rum).
I don't know how long I would be standing if I put in the 12 shots. Baymule only puts in 6 and that is what I do as well. It is somewhat labor and definately mixing bowl intensive. It will separate out in the refrigerator but you can mix it back up. The booze mellows into the cream and eggs quite nicely if given the time.

You are brave!!! Or maybe you learned to cook from him?

Sadly quiche doesn't take nearly enough eggs to get rid of surplus. 4 eggs same as omelettes for two people but feeds 3 or 4.
I made a frittata that is cooked in a cast iron skillet-- It used a dozen eggs

That was a HUGE frittata! My cast iron skillet is 10", I don't think I could make a 12 egg frittata in it. Nor could I eat all that! No one else in the house would help.
It was for a 12 inch skillet.

It takes two hands to lift it!

One of my favorite eggy recipes is Challah, wonderful bread and makes great French toast.

(Makes 2 large loaves)
2 1/4 Cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tablespoon yeast
8-10 egg yolks (enough to make 6 oz)
5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
6 Tablespoons sugar or 4 1/2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
7 1/2 Cups bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg white for egg wash
2 Tablespoons water for egg wash
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds, sesame seed or a combination for garnish

* Combine water and yeast in a mixing bowl and stir to dissolve. Add the egg yolks, oil, sugar and vanilla extract; whisk lightly to break up the egg yolks, then add the flour and salt. Using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment and mix on lowest speed for 2 minutes. The dough should be coarse and shaggy. Let rest for 5 minutes.
* Switch to the dough hook and mix on medium low speed for 4 minutes.
* Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Lightly knead for 1-2 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. The dough should be soft and a bit tacky (but not sticky). Form the dough into a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough overnight. It will double in size as it cools.
* Remove from the fridge about 2 hours before you plan to bake. Transfer to a floured surface and cut into the desired number of pieces to make strands for braiding, making sure all pieces are the same weight. For 2 loaves of bread, this would be 6 strands of dough. Flatten each piece with your hand, then roll the pieces into long ropes about 10-14" long. Using 3 pieces of dough, braid and transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat to make the 2nd loaf.
* Make an egg wash by combining the egg white and 2 Tablespoons of water and whisk briskly until thoroughly combined. Brush the entire surface of the loaves. Let the loaves rise, uncovered, at room temperature for about 1 hour (they won't rise much during this time). Brush with egg wash again, and sprinkle on the seeds. Let rise again at room temperature for about 1 hour or until increased to about 1 1/2 times their original size.
* About 15 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350*.
* Bake about 20 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake another 15-30 minutes, until the internal temperature is about 190* in the center. The crust of the loaf will seem hard when it first comes out of the oven, but will soften as it cools.
* Cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes before slicing.

This is a favorite egg dish we like: Slice on a slicer mandolin 1 potato
cook almost done. Slice 1/2 onion thin ...use some veggie oil and a
little butter. Brown.... beat in a small bowl 4 eggs Lower heat.
Pour egg batter over cooked onion and potato.... I cook this in a stainless
steel Rome Revere Pan ....now cover ...Grate your favorite cheese, cheddar
or and sprinkle on top....Cover and let cook about 5 min ...until the eggs
and the cheese melts. Serve with home made buttered sourdough bread.
Enjoy. Aria

This is a favorite egg dish we like: Slice on a slicer mandolin 1 potato
cook almost done. Slice 1/2 onion thin ...use some veggie oil and a
little butter. Brown.... beat in a small bowl 4 eggs Lower heat.
Pour egg batter over cooked onion and potato.... I cook this in a stainless
steel Rome Revere Pan ....now cover ...Grate your favorite cheese, cheddar
or and sprinkle on top....Cover and let cook about 5 min ...until the eggs
and the cheese melts. Serve with home made buttered sourdough bread.
Enjoy. Aria

That sounds good Aria!

Back
Top Bottom