Any Home Bakers Here?

THANKS so much. I am checking people I know...and this is good to know. Right now I am
thinking of NOT HAVING. Thanks again for sharing information. This helps me a lot. Aria
Really wish people would reconsider. Do not wish to start an argument, but the more people get the shot, the less chance there is for covid to mutate, and the more it mutates the more dangerous it can become. For the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, no one has died from the vaccine. Compare to the half million plus dead from covid, just in the US. Of the j&j, only 2 or 3 died out of 6 million shots given. Please discuss with your doctor. Thank you. ❤

I made one of our favorite dinners tonight, crab cakes!

Crab cakes 1 Apr 2021.JPG

Crab cakes 2 Apr 2021.JPG

Never heard of Bulgarian yogurt, can you explain? I don't like draining away the whey in my yogurt to make Greek, seems like such a waste!
Bulgarian yogurt is a culture that I bought from amazon. I like it quite a bit.

I make a 4 cup batch of yogurt by

Measure out 4 cups of milk and keep about 1\3 of a cup separate
Sprinkle 1 and a half teaspoons of gelatin over the 1\3 cup of milk to bloom
Heat the milk up to 150F and then add the milk with gelatin
Continue to heat to 180F
Let cool(I use a bowl with ice water to cool the mixture faster) to 90F
Add some of the yogurt from the old batch to activate culture into a quart canning jar
Put in yogurt maker at 120F for one hour
Turn temp to 85F and let culture until sour smelling, two to three more hours

The yogurt will thicken up in the fridge

You can play around with the amount of gelatin to get the thickness you want.

I use organic beef gelatin that I bought from Amazon. The bag lasts a long time!

I got Greek yogurt made today. One gallon of milk equals two quarts of whey, four pints of yogurt. When I write it that way, it feels like I got more than I did. :gig

Lots of uses for the whey, though. Mix it in the chickens' food for a mash, put it in a smoothie, or put it on the blueberries. I know some people can drink it straight, but I'm not one of them. :sick
How do you make greek yogurt? I eat quite a bit of it and it’s quite expensive.

Bulgarian yogurt is a culture that I bought from amazon. I like it quite a bit.

I make a 4 cup batch of yogurt by

Measure out 4 cups of milk and keep about 1\3 of a cup separate
Sprinkle 1 and a half teaspoons of gelatin over the 1\3 cup of milk to bloom
Heat the milk up to 150F and then add the milk with gelatin
Continue to heat to 180F
Let cool(I use a bowl with ice water to cool the mixture faster) to 90F
Add some of the yogurt from the old batch to activate culture into a quart canning jar
Put in yogurt maker at 120F for one hour
Turn temp to 85F and let culture until sour smelling, two to three more hours

The yogurt will thicken up in the fridge

You can play around with the amount of gelatin to get the thickness you want.

I use organic beef gelatin that I bought from Amazon. The bag lasts a long time!
Thanks, @ronott1. Hmmm. I usually make 3 quarts of yogurt at a time. Am going to have to fiddle with this. I don't have a yogurt maker. I usually put my milk in half-pint jars then put them in a warm water bath in my oven with the light on for about five hours. I think this is do-able, though. I'll give it a try and report back. It may be a week or so, though. Thanks!

Tonight will be the fourth night in a row I put together Champlain bread. Yesterday’s went to my neighbor and her daughter, today’s went to my sister Diane for her birthday. I don’t really need a loaf tomorrow but I’m baking one anyhow!
Is the recipe in the list on the front page? If so can someone link
It I can’t find it. I may try it tomorrow if I have the ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom