Any Home Bakers Here?

@cheepteach My grandma on my dad's side cooked for 13 kids and her husband - who was a butcher/farmer. Most of our family recipes are from her - they make a lot. Those things that I can freeze leftovers - I make full recipes of for lunches and quick meals. But quite a few of the recipes have been pared back by me. I just realized that I do not have many recipes from my Mom's side of the family. That grandma was not a very good cook, so that may be why.

@R2elk are you willing to share your cherry jam recipe. I have some cherries left that I need to do something with. What kind of cherry tree do you have growing out there - is it a Montmorency?
They can grow Montmorency in town here but I have never had one make it through the winter. These trees are Evans Bali also known as Evans or Bali. The only place that I have been able yo find them consistently is Burnt Ridge Nursery.

Cherry Jam

4 cups prepared fruit (buy about 3 lb. fully ripe sour cherries)
1 pkg Sure Jell (low sugar type)
1 tbsp butter or margarine
4-3/4 cups sugar

Stem and pit cherries. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared fruit into 6 qt.. saucepan. Stir pectin into prepared fruit in saucepan. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon. Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two piece canning lids. Screw bands tightly. Put sealed jars upside down on counter to seal and cool.

I prepare the jars by steaming them upside down in a pan of water with the rings and lids.

It makes enough jam to fill 56 oz. of jars (4 - 12 oz. jars plus 1 - 8 oz. jar or 3 - pint jars plus one half pint jar).

Last edited:
Happy Birthday @penny1960 !

Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Back
Top Bottom