Any Home Bakers Here?

The lemon curd is resting in the fridge along with the lavender cookie dough.

I baked the apple streussel for an afternoon snack:
View attachment 1167116

The Apples are rose pippins from the local farm drop off I use called Farm Fresh to You.

It turned out great...which is a good thing since those apples were a bit pricey
Do you have the recipe? Sorry if I missed it.

Do you have the recipe? Sorry if I missed it.
@N F C posted the cookie part several days ago. The lemon curd par is:
Lemon Curd Filling

Makes 1 cup
Ingredients
  • ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ cup (120 grams) fresh lemon juice (from 3 to 4 lemons)
  • 2 large eggs (100 grams)
  • 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
  • 1 tablespoon (2 grams) finely grated lemon zest
  • ¼ cup (57 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed

Instructions
  1. Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl, and set aside.
  2. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually add the lemon juice, and whisk until the cornstarch dissolves completely. Add eggs and egg yolks, and whisk until well blended.
  3. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Then whisk vigorously for 1 minute more. It should have a pudding-like consistency. Remove the bowl from the pot of simmering water.
  4. Press the curd through the sieve. Whisk in the lemon zest and the butter, 1 to 2 pieces at a time, letting the cubes melt before adding additional butter. Let the curd cool to room temperature.
  5. Once cool, press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface of the lemon curd to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate until well chilled and set, at least 6 hours.

@N F C posted the cookie part several days ago. The lemon curd par is:
Lemon Curd Filling

Makes 1 cup
Ingredients
  • ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ cup (120 grams) fresh lemon juice (from 3 to 4 lemons)
  • 2 large eggs (100 grams)
  • 2 large egg yolks (37 grams)
  • 1 tablespoon (2 grams) finely grated lemon zest
  • ¼ cup (57 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed

Instructions
  1. Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl, and set aside.
  2. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually add the lemon juice, and whisk until the cornstarch dissolves completely. Add eggs and egg yolks, and whisk until well blended.
  3. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Then whisk vigorously for 1 minute more. It should have a pudding-like consistency. Remove the bowl from the pot of simmering water.
  4. Press the curd through the sieve. Whisk in the lemon zest and the butter, 1 to 2 pieces at a time, letting the cubes melt before adding additional butter. Let the curd cool to room temperature.
  5. Once cool, press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface of the lemon curd to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate until well chilled and set, at least 6 hours.
Oops sorry. I meant the Apple Streusel recipe. :oops:

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Did the recipe call for a total of 2 cups of cream? Looks like you could cut back on the amount of cream. And maybe using a top crust didn't help the inside to bake out enough? :confused:

just 1 cup was also wondering if the 3 tablespoons of flour I would boost it 1/4 cup corn starch or flour

just 1 cup was also wondering if the 3 tablespoons of flour I would boost it 1/4 cup corn starch or flour
For recipes with apples and flour or corn starch, wait until you have added the sugar to the apples in a bowl to bring out the liquid. Some apples have more water in them than other apples. based on the amount of liquid, you increase or decrease the thickener.

Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I get it wrong. Something that seems simple like baking an apple pie can be hard. If the recipe said 3 tablespoons of flour and you had very wet apples, adding another tablespoon would do it.

Although one problem may have been that the apple liquid did not get hot enough in the oven to convert the flour. I wait until there is bubbles of apple gel coming out of the steam cuts in the top pie crust. I also reach in to pull out an apple to test for doneness.

It looks like we are on an apple theme today.

I baked an Apple Streusel today-This is my Grandmothers recipe and is likely 60 or so years old.

It is an Ottman Family Classic! This is very easy to make too.

Apple Streusel

5 to 6 Apples (3# bag of Granny Smiths)
½ C. Sugar

Streusel topping:
1C Flour
¾ C Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg
½ cup melted butter
Ground cinnamon

Peal, core and slice apples into a 9x13 pan. Stir sugar into apples.

Topping: Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium size mixing bowl. Add unbeaten egg and mix together with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples in baking pan. Pour melted butter over the topping. Sprinkle cinnamon over topping(Careful, don’t use too much)

Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes(depends on how soft you like the apples)

Yum will pickup more for this

Back
Top Bottom