Any Home Bakers Here?

In the S.E. U.S. there is this white flour gravy that is paste with salt and pepper.
I never saw the charm.

edit to ad:, I just looked up damper bread and it looks like soda bread or a big biscuit.
Those I can see the charm of. Just don't put that white gravy on it.

Last edited:
Making chicken pie, but feel a bit awkward about using chicken while they're in the house.

Anyone else ever have that sense?
Chicken doesn't bother me because it isn't anyone I know. The rabbits we've been raising, that took a bit of time to have them for dinner (but I got over it).

I've being making Australian Damper for years now and it's so simple and easy that anyone can do it. Tastes best on the campfire.
Hi @chickenpatch , I've never heard of it...care to share your recipe?

In the S.E. U.S. there is this white flour gravy that is paste with salt and pepper.
I never saw the charm.

edit to ad:, I just looked up damper bread and it looks like soda bread or a big biscuit.
Those I can see the charm of. Just don't put that white gravy on it.
What you don't eat Biscuits and gravy? what's wrong with you?? [actually I don't either but it's a big hit here. ]I am born southern girl just never cared for gravy.

To everyone curious about Damper...

Damper is an old Australian bread from the Aboriginals (Our ancestors). It's a very simple and easy recipe, it's very hard to make a damper wrong. I only like plain damper if it's with some roasted vegies or a herb butter spread over it. But I've experimented and damper is AMAZING if you mix chocolate through it and bake it at a slow heat. I've also made garlic herb ones, just imagine a flavour and you could get it.

Over the years I've adjusted the recipe a bit and now I don't bother measuring, I always make it when camping.

Recipe-
About 2 cups of self raising flour
Half a cup of mineral water
50g salted butter
Half a tablespoon of salt (Regardless of chosen flavour)

When you make the dough do NOT mix it too much, just enough for the ingredients to combine. The dough should be fluffy and slightly sticky. If you plan on putting chocolate in first make the dough, put it on an oven tray, make a hole in the middle and put the chocolate in. To bake it in an oven I put the heat to 140C Celcius. If you cook it slowly it will turn out better. But to make it on the camp fire I use a cast ion camp pot, put the damper in and put hot coals under and on the pot. But if you really want to go traditional you stick the dough around a stick/skewer and roast it over the fire (How Aboriginals did it).

Your first damper may not turn out the best. But it's such a simple and quick thing to make that you can keep trying and find the flavour you love the best.

Back
Top Bottom