Any Home Bakers Here?

It is normal for yogurt to be a bit thin the first time you make it, It gets better and then good about the third time

I make homemade yogurt all the time (using raw milk that we buy at a nearby farm). I do 2 things to help thicken it up -- I let it sit in a warm spot wrapped in a towel for at least 12 hours, and before I jar it, I pour off the whey that is sitting on top of the yogurt. (I'm pretty sure it's whey.)

Someone might want to pipe in here, but I believe Greek yogurt is made by draining off excess liquid. I made Icelandic skyr once, and it's done pretty much the same way, although with the recipe I used, I added rennit.

I make homemade yogurt all the time (using raw milk that we buy at a nearby farm). I do 2 things to help thicken it up -- I let it sit in a warm spot wrapped in a towel for at least 12 hours, and before I jar it, I pour off the whey that is sitting on top of the yogurt. (I'm pretty sure it's whey.)

Someone might want to pipe in here, but I believe Greek yogurt is made by draining off excess liquid. I made Icelandic skyr once, and it's done pretty much the same way, although with the recipe I used, I added rennit.
Yes on the greek yogurt!

When you buy a packet of yogurt culture that is dry and you make the first batch of yogurt with it, it can be thinner than normal. Using the last bit of the old batch to make a new one will make the yogurt thicker. It can take three batches for the yogurt to get thick.

I add a teaspoon of beef gelatin to a quart of yogurt to make it thicker

So this was the angle fingers I made.. they are a bit of a pain you cover them with confectioners sugar it knocks off easy so soon as their cool enough you roll them in it...
Then they go in the jar before they loose all of it :gigView attachment 2012715
Looks good!

Yes on the greek yogurt!

When you buy a packet of yogurt culture that is dry and you make the first batch of yogurt with it, it can be thinner than normal. Using the last bit of the old batch to make a new one will make the yogurt thicker. It can take three batches for the yogurt to get thick.

I add a teaspoon of beef gelatin to a quart of yogurt to make it thicker

Wow, never used dry yogurt culture. Didn't even know they had that stuff. I prefer to keep my culture going from one batch to the next, but when I take a break (like now), I usually just pick up a small container of quality yogurt at the store and use that. I have to say, the worst yogurt I ever made was using a culture from yogurt I bought at a local farm stand.

If I want thicker yogurt, I line a colander with cheesecloth and strain out the excess liquid, but my DH isn't that particular.

Last edited:
Wow, never used dry yogurt culture. Didn't even know they had that stuff. I prefer to keep my culture going from one batch to the next, but when I take a break (like now), I usually just pick up a small container of quality yogurt at the store and use that. I have to say, the worst yogurt I ever made was using a culture from yogurt I bought at a local farm stand.

If I want thicker yogurt, I line a colander with cheesecloth and strain out the excess liquid, but my DH isn't that particular.
I bought Bulgarian yogurt and it was in a packet at first. I also have a drinkable yogurt called piima

[/QUOTE]
Personally, I wouldn't use that pie crust recipe. It has too many odd measurements - who uses 9 tablespoons of butter? One stick and be done.
I like the pie crust recipe from the cookbook i got when I moved into my first apartment - Betty Crocker has never let me down.
We lived in Denver when we were first married and DH gave me a high altitude baking book. I still use the pie crust recipes in it!

Last edited:
Tonight I'm going to make a stab at biscuits. I actually bought a small container of Crisco. I thought I'd never do that again but some things are worth a few trans fats! I couldn't find pastry flour but I did find cake flour, which apparently is even lower protein than pastry flour, so I figured I would do 3/4 cake flour and 1/4 ap flour.

Tonight I'm going to make a stab at biscuits. I actually bought a small container of Crisco. I thought I'd never do that again but some things are worth a few trans fats! I couldn't find pastry flour but I did find cake flour, which apparently is even lower protein than pastry flour, so I figured I would do 3/4 cake flour and 1/4 ap flour.

Know what you mean about the trans fats. I used lard in my pie crusts in the past. They were delicious, I have to say.

Back
Top Bottom