Any Home Bakers Here?

ThreeOfSeven

Crowing
Jul 29, 2016
Shelter Island, New York
It is normal for yogurt to be a bit thin the first time you make it, It gets better and then good about the third time
I make homemade yogurt all the time (using raw milk that we buy at a nearby farm). I do 2 things to help thicken it up -- I let it sit in a warm spot wrapped in a towel for at least 12 hours, and before I jar it, I pour off the whey that is sitting on top of the yogurt. (I'm pretty sure it's whey.)

Someone might want to pipe in here, but I believe Greek yogurt is made by draining off excess liquid. I made Icelandic skyr once, and it's done pretty much the same way, although with the recipe I used, I added rennit.

jnicholes

Crowing
Feb 16, 2017
What happened to the thread?

I baked a new sourdough bread recipe this weekend. I need to add more salt and work getting the baneton proofing baskets floured better! The bread was nice and airy but needed more flavor.

I also baked a lemon meringue pie and used a new pie dough recipe.

I was wondering about that too. I was wondering when somebody was going to post something.

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project manager
Premium member
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
I make homemade yogurt all the time (using raw milk that we buy at a nearby farm). I do 2 things to help thicken it up -- I let it sit in a warm spot wrapped in a towel for at least 12 hours, and before I jar it, I pour off the whey that is sitting on top of the yogurt. (I'm pretty sure it's whey.)

Someone might want to pipe in here, but I believe Greek yogurt is made by draining off excess liquid. I made Icelandic skyr once, and it's done pretty much the same way, although with the recipe I used, I added rennit.
Yes on the greek yogurt!

When you buy a packet of yogurt culture that is dry and you make the first batch of yogurt with it, it can be thinner than normal. Using the last bit of the old batch to make a new one will make the yogurt thicker. It can take three batches for the yogurt to get thick.

I add a teaspoon of beef gelatin to a quart of yogurt to make it thicker

ronott1

Project manager
Premium member
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
So this was the angle fingers I made.. they are a bit of a pain you cover them with confectioners sugar it knocks off easy so soon as their cool enough you roll them in it...
Then they go in the jar before they loose all of it :gigView attachment 2012715
Looks good!

ThreeOfSeven

Crowing
Jul 29, 2016
Shelter Island, New York
Yes on the greek yogurt!

When you buy a packet of yogurt culture that is dry and you make the first batch of yogurt with it, it can be thinner than normal. Using the last bit of the old batch to make a new one will make the yogurt thicker. It can take three batches for the yogurt to get thick.

I add a teaspoon of beef gelatin to a quart of yogurt to make it thicker
Wow, never used dry yogurt culture. Didn't even know they had that stuff. I prefer to keep my culture going from one batch to the next, but when I take a break (like now), I usually just pick up a small container of quality yogurt at the store and use that. I have to say, the worst yogurt I ever made was using a culture from yogurt I bought at a local farm stand.

If I want thicker yogurt, I line a colander with cheesecloth and strain out the excess liquid, but my DH isn't that particular.

Last edited:

ronott1

Project manager
Premium member
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Wow, never used dry yogurt culture. Didn't even know they had that stuff. I prefer to keep my culture going from one batch to the next, but when I take a break (like now), I usually just pick up a small container of quality yogurt at the store and use that. I have to say, the worst yogurt I ever made was using a culture from yogurt I bought at a local farm stand.

If I want thicker yogurt, I line a colander with cheesecloth and strain out the excess liquid, but my DH isn't that particular.
I bought Bulgarian yogurt and it was in a packet at first. I also have a drinkable yogurt called piima

Latest posts

Top Bottom