Any Home Bakers Here?

New here but I wanted to ask if anybody has a good frosting recipe? I made a chocolate zucchini cake last night and didn’t want to use my old buttercream frosting recipe so I tried a cooked frosting recipe from Pinterest. not so good 🤦🏻‍♀️
Does anybody have a favorite vanilla frosting recipe they would like to share?

New here but I wanted to ask if anybody has a good frosting recipe? I made a chocolate zucchini cake last night and didn’t want to use my old buttercream frosting recipe so I tried a cooked frosting recipe from Pinterest. not so good 🤦🏻‍♀️

Hi, it's nice to have you here with the rest of us bakers!

I personally like buttercream but maybe someone else will be along with an alternative for you. (Have you tried a cream cheese frosting?)

Well, I tried doing yogurt last night for the first time. Just using a container from the store that has live active cultures in it for the starter. I was trying my own thing based on lots of different reading, I just put the yogurt and cold milk in a jar and put it in the dehydrator overnight. This morning it was trying to thicken some but wasn't pulling away from the sides of the jar. It had gone from 2% to heavy whipping cream consistency though. I went ahead and ate most of it for breakfast, the rest is still in it's jar with more milk in the fridge. Will pull it back out and put it back in the dehydrator when I get home this afternoon.

If anyone else was consuming it I wouldn't try it this way, but I'm somewhat ok with food poisoning myself as I'm the only one that has to deal with the consequences. I had a lactade pill with it and almost 4 hours later I feel fine, so no lactose issues (mitigated by the pill) and no food poisoning type issues yet at least.

I would still like to try the piima as it is room temp and I wouldn't have to run the dehydrator but so far, I got a thick liquid that tasted like yogurt.

For anyone wondering my reasoning behind this method is as follows:

My milk is already pasteurized, so has been through the heating process to around 180 degrees already.

My yogurt culture is obviously ok at cold temps so no real reason to warm the milk before adding cold yogurt to it.

I can avoid having to wash a pot and risking making the house smell like burnt milk if I don't cook or warm the milk first.

As I likely will be incubating longer than about 9 hours or so as I am doing it from some point in the afternoon to when I get up in the morning, there is no real reason to worry about speeding it up as it will have plenty of time, plus I am more than OK with it still being soft when it is consumed.

I have a cream cheese frosting in the google sheet that you can find on the first post of this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-home-bakers-here.921333/page-1023#post-19205606

Well, I tried doing yogurt last night for the first time. Just using a container from the store that has live active cultures in it for the starter. I was trying my own thing based on lots of different reading, I just put the yogurt and cold milk in a jar and put it in the dehydrator overnight. This morning it was trying to thicken some but wasn't pulling away from the sides of the jar. It had gone from 2% to heavy whipping cream consistency though. I went ahead and ate most of it for breakfast, the rest is still in it's jar with more milk in the fridge. Will pull it back out and put it back in the dehydrator when I get home this afternoon.

If anyone else was consuming it I wouldn't try it this way, but I'm somewhat ok with food poisoning myself as I'm the only one that has to deal with the consequences. I had a lactade pill with it and almost 4 hours later I feel fine, so no lactose issues (mitigated by the pill) and no food poisoning type issues yet at least.

I would still like to try the piima as it is room temp and I wouldn't have to run the dehydrator but so far, I got a thick liquid that tasted like yogurt.

For anyone wondering my reasoning behind this method is as follows:

My milk is already pasteurized, so has been through the heating process to around 180 degrees already.

My yogurt culture is obviously ok at cold temps so no real reason to warm the milk before adding cold yogurt to it.

I can avoid having to wash a pot and risking making the house smell like burnt milk if I don't cook or warm the milk first.

As I likely will be incubating longer than about 9 hours or so as I am doing it from some point in the afternoon to when I get up in the morning, there is no real reason to worry about speeding it up as it will have plenty of time, plus I am more than OK with it still being soft when it is consumed.
Heating to from 180 to 200 and cooling to 109 and adding the culture will get a better consistency in the yogurt.

It is also common for the first batch to be thin.

Heating to from 180 to 200 and cooling to 109 and adding the culture will get a better consistency in the yogurt.

It is also common for the first batch to be thin.
I had seen both of those facts. I'm prefectly ok with the consistency I got, maybe a touch thicker would be good, but as you said, the first batch is usually thin so likely the next batch (tomorrow) will be thicker. I may add a bit more of the store bought to it tonight as well as I used just a little bit of a package last night and need to do something with the rest of that package soon.

I had seen both of those facts. I'm prefectly ok with the consistency I got, maybe a touch thicker would be good, but as you said, the first batch is usually thin so likely the next batch (tomorrow) will be thicker. I may add a bit more of the store bought to it tonight as well as I used just a little bit of a package last night and need to do something with the rest of that package soon.
It is so much fun making yogurt! I have a batch of piima culturing on the counter and just started a batch of regular yogurt. It is heating up now

It is so much fun making yogurt! I have a batch of piima culturing on the counter and just started a batch of regular yogurt. It is heating up now
Plus, especially if I get a piima culture going, it is much less expensive than buying from the store. A single serve cup of live active greek yogurt is almost a dollar. A gallon of milk is around 2.50. I can make a lot of single serve yogurts out of that.

Back
Top Bottom