Any Home Bakers Here?

I just read an article about a bakery that uses sourdough for everything and feeds it 3 times a day to reduce the sourdough flavor. Me, I'm not a huge fan of sourdough tang in bread, so I may try that at some point. Maybe not feed it that much all the time, but feed it the night before, then at least once in the morning before using it again to reduce it some.

I do like crumpets and think they would make good pancakes, so I could save the extra starter from those 2 feeds and make pancakes with the extra starter.
I made sourdough pancakes and kept some of the starter from that. I used the discard before feeding to make the crumpets. So good!

Kusanar, When I first tasted Sourdough Bread...IT WAS NOT MY FAVORITE...you do acquire a taste for it. And you can Feed and change
tang sourdough taste. I now love it. All breads for ME are Sourdough.
You need to WORK with it. I know it is Healthy For Me. I do use Honey, and Whey Protein Powder in my Breads. ..and different Flours..
but it is always Sourdough...with just right amount of Sourdough Tang.
Aria
sourdough makes the bread easier to digest too.

Most people that taste my home made sourdough bread complain because it is not sour enough. It is less sour than what you buy at the store because the store sourdough is usually a commercial yeast bread with citric acid added

I made sourdough pancakes and kept some of the starter from that. I used the discard before feeding to make the crumpets. So good!
Remember, you do not always have to discard. Often you can add enough flour and water to get back up to a couple cups of starter-- I only toss starter when I clean the jar-- and that is not too often!

I am way behind the curve here, but I am!!! Baking from scratch since I was a child. I was taught by my great grandmother and still use her recipes to this day. Butter & pure cane sugar makes everything better! 😁🤣
It is nice that you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom