Any Home Bakers Here?

View attachment 2061798

Did some intense math to figure out the cooking time for the duck. The duck weighs 6.6 pounds. I converted it to kg for the recipe I use. I need to cook it at 355 degrees F for 1 hour 29 minutes and 48.678 seconds.

I first need to thaw it for 48 hours, boil the fat out, then dry it for 48 hours.

After that, it's cooking time! It will make a great Sunday dinner!

Jared

If you use a wild duck, there is no fat. When I cook one I have to put strips of bacon on top to keep it from drying out.

If you use a wild duck, there is no fat. When I cook one I have to put strips of bacon on top to keep it from drying out.

Really? I didnt know that. When I cook wild goose, it's always LOADED with fat and I have to poke holes in the skin to render fat out.

Tastes great when I do that.

As for duck, I only took two in my life so far. I am still learning about cooking them.

I do have a question for those of you who understand the science... Why did I put honey in the waterbath for the bagels?

I don't put honey in the water bath but this is what All Recipes says:
"Adding honey or barley malt syrup to the boiling water bath gives the bagels a pleasing chewy texture with a hint of sweetness. You may omit the honey, if desired."

Back
Top Bottom