Any idea breed?

Crazy_Beautiful

Songster
Nov 12, 2021
South Central Ontario
I ordered 3 Majesty Marans from Peavey and having had the breed before I know these aren't Marans.

From the options of black feathered chicks these could be either Black Sexlink, Jersey Giants or Barred Rocks. My gut says Jersey but just want to make sure before I find new homes for them. I'm not set up for big birds nor did I want big birds.

Attachments

• 20230606_103813.jpg
    20230606_103813.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20230606_110020_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_110020_Gallery.jpg
    716.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230606_110032_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_110032_Gallery.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 12
I ordered 3 Majesty Marans from Peavey and having had the breed before I know these aren't Marans.
Majesty Marans aren't Marans either.. they are a hybrid that won't breed true.. and maybe a black sex link with a fancy name best I can tell.. (otherwise the males would not be barred. similar hybrid, is Dominant Copper, basically the hatcheries can call their hybrids whatever they want.)

Quote form hoover's

"The Midnight Majesty Marans® have black plumage and most hatch with feathered feet, but some do not. Deep browns show up through their down feathering underneath, making them a mix of beautiful dark brown and black plumage. The males are barred. This breed will lay dark brown eggs and will lay a lot of them! You will truly enjoy this breed in your backyard flock and its dark eggs in your egg carton! These hybrids perform well in many different climates."

ETA: Using the dark egg sire.. gives dark egg layers.. they should still lay dark eggs.. so Marans as an indicator of egg color only in this instance.. But it's the same way they get dark layers for the Welbars.. Welsummer roo over barred (rock) hens to increase the production above the dark egg genes.

Last edited:
What makes you say they look like a Maran?
I really just want to be sure as when I had a larger breed in the past I had to reconfigure my coop and lift her out every morning and night and I don't want to do that again.
I attached a picture of my Black Copper Maran chicks I hatched above. I've noticed that the Marans have those speckles right by the eyes when they are chicks most of the time.

From the options of black feathered chicks these could be either Black Sexlink, Jersey Giants or Barred Rocks. My gut says Jersey but just want to make sure before I find new homes for them. I'm not set up for big birds nor did I want big birds.
So too much white for black sexlinks, and no white head dots for barred rocks...

Clean legged "Marans" would be my guess- Jerseys are definitely an option based on fluff color/leg color- but would be on the 'rare' side for a hatchery.

Fingers crossed you get Marans!

What about this one. She's suppose to be a Speckled Sussex.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607_135055_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_135055_Gallery.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230607_135048_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_135048_Gallery.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230607_135038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_135038_Gallery.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 6
Definitely could be! Technically they're supposed to have white/pink legs, so it could be a hatchery quality chick.

If you've not had them before, the hens are really fun to have around. Not the best layers but super friendly and inquisitive.

Definitely could be! Technically they're supposed to have white/pink legs, so it could be a hatchery quality chick.

If you've not had them before, the hens are really fun to have around. Not the best layers but super friendly and inquisitive.
I ordered 1 in the beginning of May so she'd now be around 5 weeks old. I could tell immediately that she was a Sussex. Little spots on her feathers and dainty little white/pink legs. This one just looks different. But than again my Majesty Maran from beginning of May has beautifully feathered legs. So maybe this hatch from Hoovers isn't as good quality.

Back
Top Bottom