Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
You are living my dream. We are stuck in Palisades on Oahu but dream of Maui or Kauai and living off grid. We have a coop with 8 pullets (RIR, SLW, WR, BO, Barney, 2 EEs, and a red star) and 2 pygmy goats.

I saw silkies for sale at the pet store in Ewa Beach.

Oh. Here are finished pictures of our coop. And our 3 year old with her RIR "Quack Quack"

20190324_180113.jpg
20190324_180827.jpg
20190402_120000.jpg

You are living my dream. We are stuck in Palisades on Oahu but dream of Maui or Kauai and living off grid. We have a coop with 8 pullets (RIR, SLW, WR, BO, Barney, 2 EEs, and a red star) and 2 pygmy goats.

I saw silkies for sale at the pet store in Ewa Beach.

808momof4, It does feel like living a dream at times. So much so, I wonder how the heck we ever even landed here with this amazing opportunity. I love pygmy goats. Had lots of breeder friends back in Texas through my chinchilla connections that also had pygmies. Such fun animals. You saw chickens for sale at a pet store?!?!?! Crazy, but I guess they are becoming more popular as pets... not sure if that is a good thing if they have landed at the pet stores already, but it may be ok since most places on the mainland have HOA's or city ordinances that prohibit fowl or swine. We had friends there that had their pot belly pig taken away after raising her for 3 years. They were devastated and were still fighting to get her back when we moved.

Oh. Here are finished pictures of our coop. And our 3 year old with her RIR "Quack Quack"

View attachment 1747521 View attachment 1747522 View attachment 1747523
That looks great! Congratulations!! How do you and the girls (chicken girls) like it? (Your daughter is beautiful BTW <3.) I am always looking to incorporate what works. I am hoping to pick up a few more (5+) chicks. Our dogs took out the two I hatched, chicks slipped through the 2x3 wire while we were holo holo with mom. (Dogs know better... so hopping mad at them... bad dogs!!!) So hubby approved more. Also, his co-worker with side baking company wants all I can. If I list my eggs on CL they are gone quickly and I make feed costs. Been thinking of expanding for awhile, as I don't have a real job and love chickens.
Audie is going to find us chicken orphans at her doorstep lol. Hana is dreamy. Speaking of off the grid. Fairly affordable acreage in Kapaa because no infrastructure happening... yet? We are looking into. Waiting on call from realtor. Interesting... ;) I am totally up for off the grid living. We have a well, 9' water table here and PV. So, like half way there right?!! Just need to loose all of the neighbors...

Last edited:
Audie is going to find us chicken orphans at her doorstep lol. Hana is dreamy. Speaking of off the grid. Fairly affordable acreage in Kapaa because no infrastructure happening... yet? We are looking into. Waiting on call from realtor. Interesting... ;) I am totally up for off the grid living. We have a well, 9' water table here and PV. So, like half way there right?!! Just need to loose all of the neighbors...[/QUOTE]

808mom, that new coop is amazing! I love the design, can I live there when I visit? LOL Your little girl is sooo cute and brave to pick up a chicken with no shirt on! Those claws, ouch! She must know how to hold them better than I do. :)

TropicalBabies, I can not wait to get more room built for people to visit! Right now we have 11 people crammed into 3 small RV's.. well I guess I should say 9 in two RV's cause Audie don't share with anyone other than hubby. And most days even that is pushing it for me LOL! We were gonna build our house here on property, but I think that plan changed and we will be offsite on another property so we can use as much of this space as possible for planting on only have temporary structures that can be moved if needed. Not sure, the plan changes every month it seems LOL. But for now, we just make due with our temporary space and take little mini stay-cations on the west side of the island in a rented condo or hotel when we need to get away.

808momof4, It does feel like living a dream at times. So much so, I wonder how the heck we ever even landed here with this amazing opportunity. I love pygmy goats. Had lots of breeder friends back in Texas through my chinchilla connections that also had pygmies. Such fun animals. You saw chickens for sale at a pet store?!?!?! Crazy, but I guess they are becoming more popular as pets... not sure if that is a good thing if they have landed at the pet stores already, but it may be ok since most places on the mainland have HOA's or city ordinances that prohibit fowl or swine. We had friends there that had their pot belly pig taken away after raising her for 3 years. They were devastated and were still fighting to get her back when we moved.
Well, on Oahu, it is legal to own 3 chickens. There are a few Bills before City and County to up that to 7 as 3 chickens can't feed a 4 person family. Also, there are a lot of backyard chicken families in old Ewa Beach. I'm pretty sure Gentry and Ocean Pointe/Hoakalei have rules against it. We are so happy to not have an HOA. It was the #1 priority on our search list LOL.

K. 808. Dreams dashed unless we bring a tent. Maybe Audie will end up at our door for some peace and quiet lol.
Did not know new bill b4 county. Good news! Rest of counties should follow. I hope, I hope!

We do have tents and even hammocks. Some of the guys have to use them while working on cutting trails up the mountain. That way they don't have to hike all the way back down everyday. It is a brutal climb, but hopefully once they are done it will be a better hike. I have not even made it all the way up yet, so I am looking forward to that day.

I'm located on the Big Island, Hilo side ... I have 4 BO for sale. Factory hatched April 2018; all laying, healthy & easy to handle. Raised on Flock Raiser/fermented with Oyster Shells & Grit on the side. PM me if you're interested.

Attachments

• DSC04540.JPG
    DSC04540.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04650.JPG
    DSC04650.JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC04615.JPG
    DSC04615.JPG
    375.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom