Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Aloha @Gwen_Caverly ,
It's the season.... Sorry, I am on Kauai so I can not take it from you but don't give up hope, you might get a response from CL or here. Have you asked any fellow students? Sure is cute :love

Oh yeah, the little fluffer is a total cutie pie! I call it Rufus. :) I don't know any other students who would be in a position to take it. I did get a guy on Craigslist who wanted to take it tonight, but he said he would call me again after work and never did. I'll call him tomorrow to see if he's still interested.

Hey, I'm on Oahu, going to school at BYU. I found an abandoned baby chick on Friday night and rescued it, but I definitely can't keep it, so I need to re-home the little one ASAP. I put a listing on Craigslist, but I don't even know the age or sex. I have no idea what to do if I don't get any takers. Help? :confused:View attachment 2030820
View attachment 2030819
That chick looks identical to my Welsummer chicks I have in the brooder right now. IF it is a Welsummer, I would say it’s a female.

That chick looks identical to my Welsummer chicks I have in the brooder right now. IF it is a Welsummer, I would say it’s a female.

Really? How can you tell the sex? There's three kinds of chicks that run wild around Laie (black, yellow, and chipmunk) and I've seen moms that have all three kinds before, so I always figured most of the chicks here were probably mixed-breed. But even if my chick's a mutt, it could very well have a Welsummer parent, because I just Googled a picture and a lot of the local chickens do look like Welsummers.

A male Welsummer is lighter colored than a female. It’s easy to tell the difference. It is more likely that you have a mix. I just noticed how similar yours was to mine. Here’s a pic of my Welsummer chicks.
972F569F-DA45-4E9B-84D0-B90A5374B877.jpeg

Really? How can you tell the sex? There's three kinds of chicks that run wild around Laie (black, yellow, and chipmunk) and I've seen moms that have all three kinds before, so I always figured most of the chicks here were probably mixed-breed. But even if my chick's a mutt, it could very well have a Welsummer parent, because I just Googled a picture and a lot of the local chickens do look like Welsummers.
A male Welsummer is lighter colored than a female. It’s easy to tell the difference. It is more likely that you have a mix. I just noticed how similar yours was to mine. Here’s a pic of my Welsummer chicks.
View attachment 2031353
It is amazing almost all of the islands wild/feral chicks look like that with little variations. Maybe a bump from a more domestic hen or roo every now and then. I know I am responsible for a few of those lol. I have been trying to pinpoint the majority of breed in these wild babies for awhile. I have always called them Bantam-esq because they are so small. I have a hard time thinking we could have gotten Welsummers here back in that day but i agree... they have many Welsummer traits. Here's some photos and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I find it a bit fascinating... ya know, once you get bit by that chicken bug... it tends to distract and dominate a bodys brain. :rolleyes:

Pasture chix
IMG_20190122_092726645.jpg

Mango flock @ home chix (the big tales at bottom are my girls- no relation) sharing food
20200219_142705 (2).jpg

Typical flock w/ chix @ ocean park
20200220_165947 (2).jpg
20200220_164837.jpg

My girls, found as chix after mom got killed. May have some red sex link from dad
IMG_20181219_075826226.jpg

I put pasture eggs under my broody- may have some red sex link from dad (so cousins)
IMG_20190106_170852936.jpg

Aloha🌺 I moved to Kona 3 years ago. Just now back into byc. I’m a bit rusty. I have 5 hens.They are about 2 months old. I have awhile to wait. Question! Will they eat lizards and geckos? I ve seen chickens eat mice. Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom