anybody got exchequer leghorns?

amazondoc

Cracked Egghead
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Lebanon, TN
I'm getting interested in these birds. From what I've read they are good layers of large eggs, and they're evidently calmer than other leghorns.

I notice that Sandhill has them. I may order them in the spring. Anyone with personal experience?

I know someone on here has them,but don't know if they keep them separate. I got some mixed eggs earlier in the year in a swap,but I'm not sure if any of the chicks that hatched were part exchequer. I think one of mine may be mixed with that and a polish.

Exchequers are just like any other leghorn temperament wise.

I have birds from Sandhill and from Ideal and the sandhill birds are no good in my breeding program. The eggs are small(although they do lay daily), and they must have a lot of Ancona blood because they have a lot of a pattern to their markings(aka most feathers are white tipped) and speckling on their legs like you wouldn't believe. Total spazzes like other leghorns.

The Ideal birds suprised me, a lot of white(which is a very good thing) in no particular pattern, very little to no speckling on the legs and temperament wise a lot better then the Sandhill birds. One of my Ideal cockerals acctually likes to be picked up and pet and the girls will not die of a heart attack when you hold them(had a white leghorn do that to me, screaming one second and slumped together dead the next, scary).
Dunno about eggs with the Ideal Excheqs yet, they should start laying any day.

Anna

I got my Exchequer hen from peachick back in June.

She just started laying for me 3 days ago, 2 eggs in 3 days so far, not bad for a new layer.

I like our Exchequer because she is vastly different from the other chickens, both in color and temperment. She's a little flighty, but we didn't get her til she was 2 months old or so and was already a free ranger by then.

Thanks for the added info!

Adam, the kids are getting more beautiful by the day. I mentioned in a different thread the other day that the little roo goes after me if I upset one of his girls, but otherwise he's the tamest of the three. He's just a little stud muffin!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom