Anybody have a good guess what breed this is?

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Crested cream Legbar cross Barred Rock... Other features rule out Silkie and Polish crosses to me.. like comb type, skin color, toe count, etc. However, I was thinking that's NOT my version of OE.. But @NatJ has likely hit the nail on the head with the Marans thought.. Most the cuckoo Marans I've seen in the US are clean legged. Yes, according to the barring without knowing age, I would say it is indeed a cockerel. Then compared to the brood mates.. ah ya!

Looks like they came from a hatchery.. The others appear to be a buff Orpington and a blue laced red Wyandotte.. They must have being resold at that local farm.. Also most local farms don't have ability to sex chicks accurately.

Craigslist farm and garden section is where I see a lot of roosters posted. two of my local feed stores do take back roosters and sell them.

Slaughter is such an ugly word with many negative connotations. When we do HARVEST a cockerel.. he lives every day as he were a king and has one bad moment that's over before his brain can even consider what just happened. Most folks harvest as humanely as possible.. we aren't trying to hurt or harm the bird and were are thankful to know where our food comes from and WELL aware that everyday.. something dies for us to live. I see some folks post don't tell them if you are harvesting. Please understand that I'm just sharing with you that it may not be the brutal end you imagine and there is NO shame in allowing a bird to feed someone else's family even if it's not for you. :)

Both my LFS also have posting boards available for patrons. Facebook might also have some poultry groups in your area, if you do that.

Best wishes finding your boy a wonderful new home! :fl

ETA: Please add you general location to your profile as it may help folks make their most relevant suggestion possible at a glance without having to ask first.. instances like that rescuer person offering to take him.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Crested cream Legbar cross Barred Rock... Other features rule out Silkie and Polish crosses to me.. like comb type, skin color, toe count, etc. However, I was thinking that's NOT my version of OE.. But @NatJ has likely hit the nail on the head with the Marans thought.. Most the cuckoo Marans I've seen in the US are clean legged. Yes, according to the barring without knowing age, I would say it is indeed a cockerel. Then compared to the brood mates.. ah ya!

Looks like they came from a hatchery.. The others appear to be a buff Orpington and a blue laced red Wyandotte.. They must have being resold at that local farm.. Also most local farms don't have ability to sex chicks accurately.

Craigslist farm and garden section is where I see a lot of roosters posted. two of my local feed stores do take back roosters and sell them.

Slaughter is such an ugly word with many negative connotations. When we do HARVEST a cockerel.. he lives every day as he were a king and has one bad moment that's over before his brain can even consider what just happened. Most folks harvest as humanely as possible.. we aren't trying to hurt or harm the bird and were are thankful to know where our food comes from and WELL aware that everyday.. something dies for us to live. I see some folks post don't tell them if you are harvesting. Please understand that I'm just sharing with you that it may not be the brutal end you imagine and there is NO shame in allowing a bird to feed someone else's family even if it's not for you. :)

Both my LFS also have posting boards available for patrons. Facebook might also have some poultry groups in your area, if you do that.

Best wishes finding your boy a wonderful new home! :fl

ETA: Please add you general location to your profile as it may help folks make their most relevant suggestion possible at a glance without having to ask first.. instances like that rescuer person offering to take him.

Hi thank you so much for the insight! Thinking about it as harvesting makes much more sense, I appreciate the perspective :)

Hopefully we are able to find him a home nearby in Seattle!

Back
Top Bottom