anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I have read this topic for most of my day and and I'm just getting starting on sprouts I'm starting with my mason jar but the burlap bag is going to be my thing during the winter I believe, also I'm a crafter first so I used my crop a dile to make my mason jar lid to drain my spouts. Anyone needing some holes punched in a lid I'd be happy to send you one :)
Thanks for so much info

I'm going to try ball jar sprouting of hard red oats. Should I do the initial soak for 12 hours or 24?
I've been using 1/2 gal ball/mason jars with plastic sprouting lids for sprouting grain (BOSS mix, oats, barley, wheat) for over a year now. I let them soak overnight so 8-12 hours. Then I drain, fill with water, drain, and sit the jar upside down at an angle. I rinse the grains morning and night for 2 1/2 to 3 days before feeding them to my flock. Almost all the grain is sprouted by then and some are starting to show some green. I started some last night and they will be ready to feed on Friday morning. If I let them go past 3 days, they are hard to get out of the jar. I let my flock backyard range so I spread the sprouted grains all around under the bushes and the girls spend a couple hours happily foraging.

never thought about 1/2 gallon jars... I had some new ones and never sold.. bought them mostly for storing food.... usually use quart jars for us.....
I have been sprouting off and on for years for myself.. got alfala sprouts.. Broc sprouts supp to be more nutriious than the brocolli ..itself
specked peas on "Got Sprouts" video. on YOU TUBE . said very nutritious... got wheat out in their Run growing in wooden 3 ft by 12 inch boxes.. wooden with hdwe. cloth tops...
gonna try more grains.... Go BOSS in alum foil pans now.They did not seem interested in those.... if I can keep those grain bugs and weivels out of everthing.....
Gotta GET OUT My OLD WORM CASTINGS ETC , other ingredients I brought from my move "Here in this place, from aquaponic store....
I have had the plastic lids and tier uits for several years.......
Just chiming in yall

never thought about 1/2 gallon jars... I had some new ones and never sold.. bought them mostly for storing food.... usually use quart jars for us.....
I have been sprouting off and on for years for myself.. got alfala sprouts.. Broc sprouts supp to be more nutriious than the brocolli ..itself
specked peas on "Got Sprouts" video. on YOU TUBE . said very nutritious... got wheat out in their Run growing in wooden 3 ft by 12 inch boxes.. wooden with hdwe. cloth tops...
gonna try more grains.... Go BOSS in alum foil pans now.They did not seem interested in those.... if I can keep those grain bugs and weivels out of everthing.....
Gotta GET OUT My OLD WORM CASTINGS ETC , other ingredients I brought from my move "Here in this place, from aquaponic store....
I have had the plastic lids and tier uits for several years.......
Just chiming in yall
I had one unpleasant round of weevils in my barley. Now I put all the whole grains into the freezer for 2-3 weeks before using. That has taken care of the weevils so far.

weevil in my BOSS, weevils in my$ 40 dollar bag of Natures grown Organic crumbles,,,,,, cant take them back cause its 87 miles away.
bugs inthe organic mash I bought during the summer, too.. these were immediately put in metal cans in the garage when bought. so the blankety blank, had grain moths when they were bought....
It would be hard to freeze 50 lb bags of grains,,,,,

weevil in my BOSS, weevils in my$ 40 dollar bag of Natures grown Organic crumbles,,,,,, cant take them back cause its 87 miles away.
bugs inthe organic mash I bought during the summer, too.. these were immediately put in metal cans in the garage when bought. so the blankety blank, had grain moths when they were bought....
It would be hard to freeze 50 lb bags of grains,,,,,
Yuck! They are ugly little things! I hate opening up a container and seeing the contents moving! I have a chest freezer in the garage that I use for the 50 lb bags of grain. It is currently full of half a pig and a bunch of cockerels so I am going to have to buy only 1 bag of grain at a time.

Back
Top Bottom