Anybody setting today (3-25) or tomorrow (3-26)??

I'm a few days late. Can I still play? Our friend gave us 6 Cayuga duck eggs to incubate. I was going to fire up the bator, but our best broody hen decided she was ready for another go at motherhood so I gave them to her today. I know she can do more than 6 eggs so I am thinking about waiting a week and giving her a few chicken eggs too.
Can anybody tell me how many eggs a good full sized EE can cover well? She lays jumbo eggs so the duck eggs really aren't any bigger than what she is used to.

Hey Aumlet! How many did you set? I will candle, probably on Wednesday night... My supplier was late getting me the eggs, so I had to push back setting them until Wednesday last week...

13. One got kicked out the first day, one a few days later, and I removed one with a bacteria ring. The rejected eggs turned out to be non-fertile. She's sitting on 10 at the moment. A couple are very dark eggs so there may be growth. Most of them just look like nothing is happening. I haven't given up on them, but it doesn't look likely. I'd be fine with a small hatch. I'm doing this for my broody. She is soooo dedicated, and has been singing to the eggs since I put them under her.
love.gif

My faverolle is still sitting on her eggs (set 3/25) I put twelve under her and I went out last night so day 6? to check them and candle them. this is my first time trying to hatch eggs ever so there is a definite learning curve. Out of twelve eggs one was gone/exploded/crushed? but I'm not sure when I definitely saw veins in three but those were all EE eggs so they were easy to see through,the rest I'm not too sure one had a bunch of feathers and pieces of the broken one stuck to it so I brought it inside. I was worried about my girl getting off her eggs early so I built an incubator out of an old beer cooler and a bunch of spare parts I found around my house just in case. I tried to get as much of the stuck on goo, feathers, and shells off of the egg I brought in and then I stuck in in my ghetto-bator just for fun. Today I built a better candler out of a tp roll and a light socket and candled the one in my incubator and I saw some veins and what I'm sure to be an embryo
big_smile.png
. Most of the ones I candled in the coop last night looked like there was some small mass floating on the top and looked like the one in my incubator did last night until I made a better candler. I hope this means I have Ten good ones under her and one in the kitchen, hope hope

here is a pic of my back up plan I hope it works, oh and yes I know that temp is too low I had had it open for a while taking pics etc.

That is very thrifty! I am not daring enough to attempt my own incubator! LOL I just bought a Little Giant from someone at a swap last year! LOL

Hey guys! Just wanted to post pics of the other broody that I found! She doesn't really have a name since I can't tell her apart from her sisters, but we could give her one for the purpose of this thread, if you guys have suggestions! Here she is on her not so fancy nest:

And a shot showing where she chose to make her nest! LOL By candling her eggs it looks like they are due ANYTIME now! Yay! I will have chicks sooner than I thought! LOL

I candled Sophie's eggs, seven out of the nine are developing! Yay! The other two look like they weren't fertile, so I took them away. She seems to be able to fit seven under her a little better than nine. :)

Back
Top Bottom