Anyone ever used Purely Poultry ?

I want to support the BYC people myself, especially now that I've hung around here and learned how much better breeder birds are than hatchery birds - but I'm with the others, I only want three or so of each, and no one will ship that few (obviously for the health of the chicks, and I totally understand that).

As I read through this post I realized that people who want or need just a few birds, but do not have the time, space or money to hatch and brood, are basically out of luck. The biggest problem is the amount of energy used to incubate and the 21 days it takes. If it cost $25 for 25 chicks it is still going to cost $25 dollars for 3 chicks and no matter what it is going to take 21 days to hatch them. Now if you are patient and would be willing to wait for some others to order also you might be able to get just a few, but now the incubator/breeder has to put in 6 eggs to get three chicks 'cause incubation is more of an art than a science. You also may be in a state that requires a minimum purchase. I have not verified the story from the feed store attendant, but he tells me that in Virginia you have to buy a minimum of 6 chicks by law. Anyway, swap meets and autions are your best bet for getting just a few chicks or birds. You can look for them in your area through BYC or maybe you could set on up on here. It is how I got started and I got some really pretty birds! Thanks only to this forum and the people on it! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Quote:
You'd think it would be that easy, we've posted looking for specific breeds and no one answers, so either they missed it or no one has any or doesn't want to sell or only to certain people? or maybe they do answer and they are too far away, shipping cost to high, cost in general to high, or perhaps quality of birds not that good? etc... Many different reasons.
So then your left to look at hatcheries and try to breed to standard from there. Sorry. =]

What kind of chickens are you looking for HorseChick? I think A LOT of posts get overlooked. If you do a search for the breed you want or look under the BYC breeder list you should find someone
smile.png

Hugs
Christina

Quote:
Hi,
Just a guess here,

I'd say they would have too much money and time in them for what they would get out of them.
Selling hatching eggs is just way easier.
The hens do the work in a couple days. You collect, and ship, your in the clear, and make more money than selling 3-4 chicks.
Just a guess again,
Angela

Christina
Hi,
Well now that my daughter fell in love with D'uccles.....that's what we're looking for.
We bought 2 pair at the Ohio nationals but we're looking for different colors now.
May just have to buy 25 in the spring, cull the ones who don't measure up and go from there. The only thing good is then we'd have them for sale and apparently they are harder to find..
Thanks,
Angela

Quote:
Hi Angela!!
Have you tried Craigslist.com? I found some nice local laying hens. I don;t hear much about D'uccles on BYC, that is true!!
Do you have swap meets in the Spring near you? Or Auctions? I
found some nice Buff Orpingtons at an auction in October nearby.

I would post again on here in February and see if someone is planning on them. I'm thinking Spring here, and it hasn't even snowed yet
smile.png

GOOD LUCK
Hugs
Christina

Hi all,

I am the owner of Purely Poultry.

I would like to lay claim to my birds. I am a small business owner looking to help all those interested in poultry. My chicks ship within a few weeks. My prices are low. I love to help people with their poultry. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Hi,
Thanks for joining, welcome to BYC.

Since you are relatively new, I am guessing, are you a middleman of sorts as one post suggested, or do you raise all your own breeds?

Thanks for any info,
And again welcome to the BYC!
Angela

Purely Poultry combines the strengths of several different poultry breeders. Because of this combination I am able to provide great prices on all types of baby chicks. I am able to provide any amount of 236 different types of poultry.

I do look forward to adding my own poultry breedings into the Purley Poultry product line. Danke Farms (our farm) will produce the exhibition and rare types of poultry.

Horsechick,

Eaton Ohio, one of my best friends grew up in Eaton. A few years ago we made a road trip to Eaton and hung out with his friends and attended the poultry show. A great show. I take it you exhibit there?

Back
Top Bottom