Anyone feed Diamonds? *Dogs*

ScissorChick

Songster
9 Years
Dec 17, 2010
Under Your bed
Our feed store has diamonds super cheap. ($15 for a 15 pound bag)

Ive heard good about it, then I've heard bad. Ingredients seem alright.

well, from the glance I got at them while we were there. We've been

'experimenting' with dog food. I'd like to pick out 3 good dog foods, that

their coats, and poops look good on, to alterate between to give the

dogs variety. So basically my question is - is there anything bad

about diamonds?

smile.png

ScissorChick

I haven't seen that brand before, probably 'cause I dont look around much, just stick with the ones I already like.
What do you recall of the ingredients list? Whats the first and second, 3rd, 4th, & 5th ingredients? Of course you know that the order they are listed in shows the relative percentage? When speaking of meats (just for example, chicken) does it say chicken meal or chicken meat? Does it mention corn?

We feed Diamonds dog food to our two Chocolate Labs they are very healthy. We have never had a problem with it, my oldest Lab is 5 now and she has ate it since 6 weeks,of course puppy brand then
smile.png
That is a cheap price also usually we buy a 50 lb bag for about $25.00.

There are good and bad reviews on every single dog food on the market. That's because there is no one food that works well for every dog. Just because a food doesn't work well for your dog doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a good food, just that it isn't a good food for your dog. I didn't much care for the ingredients in the "regular" Diamond dog food, but we did feed the Diamond "Naturals" lamb and rice for a long time. My dog did really well on it and I was happy with it. We switched to Canidae ALS when the second dog came home because I liked the ingredients better. And now, unfortunately, I am in the process of switching them to a prescription diet because my younger dog has early kidney insufficiency.

Be careful changing dog foods. My vet said find a dog food that works for your dogs and stick with that one. Changing dog foods can cause problems upset stomach other issue which people think that its that brand of food fault when its just changing their diet to much. I buy dog chow little bites and all my dogs are healthy and happy. I have a 10 year old dog that acts like he is still a puppy. Good luck.

I stopped using Diamond when they had the Pet Food scare a few years ago - they were the biggest offender, using cheap ingredients from overseas that had bad things in them
However, they also make Taste of the Wild, which is the better quality food.
As for changing diets, that is debatable - most animal nutrionists recommend changing diets a few times a year - gradually, of course, mixing the new brand with oldbrand for a few weeks. This builds the dog's system up to become food-allergy intolerant. I've used this method for over 12 years and have never had a problem. Basically, it comes down to what is best for you and your dog, experimenting and deciding what is right for you is best. Good luck

when changing dog foods or trying new foods always mix with the food that your dog is already eating. this avoids the upset stomach. gradually over a weeks time mix more and more of the new food in. dog chow little bites is not very good food. your dog would have to eat large quantities and poop large quantities daily. i have heard good things about diamond but never tried it. all my dogs are on purina pro plan lamb and rice shreds and they love it and thrive on it.

Diamond has been recalled so many times so alot of people don't trust it. I use to feed it many years ago and my dogs did ok on it. I now use "Taste of the Wild" It's a holistic food so it's more expensive but my dogs eat less of it and poop less.

When looking at the ingredients on dog food bags you look at the first 3 ingredients as this is what most of the food is made out of. It should not have corn or by products. Corn is just a filler and we don't even digest corn well and dogs don't either.

Animal by products is just plain gross. I did research on animal by products and it's pretty much nothing but ground up cows with the plastic tags still on their ears, road kill, horses and even animals that have been euthanized at some animal shelter's. The one's that don't have an insinuator. I use to work for the local animal shelter and I had asked them what they did with the bodies and they told me that they put them all in a freezer and then a truck comes and picks them up and where they go from there who knows. They are made into some dog & cat food and that's plain out just nasty and there is no way I'm feeding that to my pets. So I always look at the ingredients before I buy..

When you see chicken by products listed that's everything on the chicken likes beaks, feet and etc.

Back
Top Bottom