Anyone have a favorite treat for new chicks?

Quote:
They are still a bit young for treats. Give them a couple more weeks and try again. Also, they don't like "new" things, so it may take a couple of times before they decide it's edible and not going to kill them. Watermelon (and the rind) and strawberries are always a hit, I haven't found a chicken yet that doesn't love them. Cantaloupe rinds too.

Believe it or not, my 6 week old chicks love the same treat as my 26 week old pullets; blended papaya with plain yogurt. Since this treat is blended, no added grit is needed for digestion. Plus yogurt is great for their digestive track, young and old alike. Eventhough the chicks run and hide when they see you comming, once they see the double sided cat feeding dish they come running and seem to be afraid of nothing. GOOD HEALTHY TREAT!!
jumpy.gif
D.gif
droolin.gif

Ya I will defiantly try again in a few weeks! Strawberries for sure will be one of the next things I try! Blending mango with yogurt is a great idea! Thanks for the tip bet they would like that

Mushy starter what a great idea! It is a treat cause it is different but safe and healthy great tip!

Last edited:
Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

Quote:
my Buff's name is nugget tooo! is he brownish reddishlike a nugget? omg!

I have a bantam mottled cochin who is a lovely black with brown splashes, and his name is Nugget!

Back to the original topic: I treat chicks at 2 weeks or older (and adult chickens) with shredded mozzarella cheese. Right out of my hand. They LOVE it.​

I grow wheat grass in the window sill for them. the older chickens have eaten EVEYTHING in the yard that was green.I was worried about feeding any of them eggs because I don't want them to start eating the ones in the nest & hi all I am betsy from idaho

Lol well my Nugget is a girl so if we bred our Nuggets we could have chicken nuggets! Yayyy lol! I actually just bought wheat grass seed to grow for them so yay that they actually would like it! Mozzarella cheese is always on hand so will try that as well thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom