Anyone have any "rare duck" stock from Cackle hatchery?

DB_Tex

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Upshur County, Texas
DH and I are researching buying a small farm in Missouri, and I noted that Cackle hatchery was nearby. I decided to check out their online catalog thinking if we made the move I could save some birds the ordeal of shipping. Im not impressed with the welsh they have pics of (my metzers look better and those cant hold a candle to Holderreads.) I'm not familiar enough with anconas to be able to judge theirs.
welsh harlequin page
Ancona page

Maybe they're better for chickens and turkeys...

Last edited:
I'm not sure how far you'll be from springfield, but estes hatchery is there and they have ancona's and WH. My ancona came from there.
68502_p1050697.jpg

68502_p1050711.jpg

68502_p1060359.jpg

I lost her sister to a raccoon, but I'm very happy with the one I have left. She's pretty, never misses a day laying, and is the friendliest of the ducks I've had. She's the only one who'll eat out of my hand. I don't know how close she is to type or anything though.

Lovely birds Julie, your campbell is also stunning.

I'm coming out in early feb. to look at a farm SE of Springfield, that would be even closer to me than Lebanon if it all works out.

Quote:
Yes, I know. I was initially just looking for meaties but my curiosity got the better of me. I guess the thread was an attempt at a nice way of saying "wow, are they really as bad as they look?"

Also I wouldn't judge the hatcheries quality by the pics on the site, most of those pics are from shows and I would really doubt that they are are from the hatchery.

It seems someone made a different thread and it came up that Cackle birds (specifically turkeys) seem to have health issues crop up. If more than a couple of reviews call into question the health of their stock I don't think they are worth dealing with at all.

Quote:
I got my EE and 2 BBW poults when I got the ducks from from orscheln's who gets their birds from Este's. I still have the EE, and the poults did wonderfully until about 6 weeks old when I realized I was getting to attatched to them to eat them and I didn't want 2 60 lb pet turkeys so I sold them.
lol.png

I hadn't ever heard anything bad about cackle either though.

Back
Top Bottom