Anyone have any "rare duck" stock from Cackle hatchery?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dusky Beauty, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    DH and I are researching buying a small farm in Missouri, and I noted that Cackle hatchery was nearby. I decided to check out their online catalog thinking if we made the move I could save some birds the ordeal of shipping. Im not impressed with the welsh they have pics of (my metzers look better and those cant hold a candle to Holderreads.) I'm not familiar enough with anconas to be able to judge theirs.
    welsh harlequin page
    Ancona page

Maybe they're better for chickens and turkeys...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I'm not sure how far you'll be from springfield, but estes hatchery is there and they have ancona's and WH. My ancona came from there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I lost her sister to a raccoon, but I'm very happy with the one I have left. She's pretty, never misses a day laying, and is the friendliest of the ducks I've had. She's the only one who'll eat out of my hand. I don't know how close she is to type or anything though.

3. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Lovely birds Julie, your campbell is also stunning.

I'm coming out in early feb. to look at a farm SE of Springfield, that would be even closer to me than Lebanon if it all works out.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you want nice quality birds, you aren't going to get them from a hatchery. Not even if that hatchery is quite close to you.

5. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Quote:Yes, I know. I was initially just looking for meaties but my curiosity got the better of me. I guess the thread was an attempt at a nice way of saying "wow, are they really as bad as they look?"

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Quote:Beautiful anconas!!! [​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Beautiful anconas!!! [​IMG]

Thanks. [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Also I wouldn't judge the hatcheries quality by the pics on the site, most of those pics are from shows and I would really doubt that they are are from the hatchery.

9. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    It seems someone made a different thread and it came up that Cackle birds (specifically turkeys) seem to have health issues crop up. If more than a couple of reviews call into question the health of their stock I don't think they are worth dealing with at all.

10. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:I got my EE and 2 BBW poults when I got the ducks from from orscheln's who gets their birds from Este's. I still have the EE, and the poults did wonderfully until about 6 weeks old when I realized I was getting to attatched to them to eat them and I didn't want 2 60 lb pet turkeys so I sold them. [​IMG]
    I hadn't ever heard anything bad about cackle either though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by