Anyone have any very simple coop designs?

Maidservant

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Ok, I'll admit it, while I helped my dad build stuff when I was little, I don't remember much of it. My dad has a broken hand and can't help right now. I'm looking for a way to house between 10 and 40 chickens (depends on who is in breeding pens at the time) and 14-18 ducks. I have untreated 2x4's, about 5-10 pieces of tin (8 ft long), two pieces of corrigated plastic (maybe 3) that are 10 ft long, and maybe a small piece of plywood or two (if I can get about 300 lbs of old ruined lumber off of it).

I also have various metal rods and metal beams (scraps from various exercise equipment).

I want to be able to have my three bantam cages hanging in the coop, nestboxes and roosts that are removable (for cleaning). I have plenty of screws and nails, I have a few power tools if I need them. Yes I do know how to use them, I've just never built anything like a building before.

I'm in Central/Southern North Carolina. It gets wet at times but it doesn't stay wet here, and most of the cold wind we get comes in from the north-west. I am 5'2", so the coop doesn't have to have 8 ft ceilings. We do have coyotes, fox, stray cats and dogs, hawks and owls. None of which have ever bothered the chickens (yet, but I don't want to tempt them). I currently have two "cages" that are approx 12'x6' side by side that house my silkies and everyone else. All that they have in the way of protection is a tarp over the top and northern side of these cages. I want to provide them with something a little better for winter and for now on. I live in the country and I do not need a building permit, nor do I have to make something that looks great, it just needs to be functional.

Oh, and I have no money right now, so I'm stuck with using what I have and what I might be able to scrounge.

Thanks for any and all help and ideas!

Emily in NC

I have an 8X10 coop similar to the one shown.

I put in a sky light and lineoleum for the floor... makes for easy clean up.

I should probably get some wooden feeders that I can also put water or milk in with the laying mash.

Quote:
What?!?
hu.gif

jeremy

Emily,

Go to your local library and see if they have or can order for you to borrow from another library a copy of "How To Build Animal Housing, 60 Plans For Coops, Hutches, Barns, Sheds, Pens, Nest Boxes, Stanchions and Much More" by Carol Ekarius.

Another helpful book would be "How To Build Small Barns and Outbildings" by Monte Burch. Both of these books have some very good drawings including measurements and materials lists.

You might even be able to combine parts of one sketch into another to suit your needs and materials available.

Hope this helps,

See you in chat!

You have heard the saying KISS.. Keep IT Simple Stupid..

well here ya go.

Back ( years back) when my boys wanted to pick thier own breeds and show thier own birds I said fine.. build YOUR OWN coop..

they drove 9 metal fence posts into the ground. In a square. Put up some woven wire fence that was laying around. (have cattle, always have extra wire, you can get this free from many ranchers that would love to have you haul it off) they lined the lower part of the fence with chicken wire (saved a ton of money only doing the bottom) They built a dog house, and added a barral with a door cut in it. Poof.. chicken coop. That was at least 10-15yrs ago and that coop is still in use today. its not fancy.. but its very funtional and they did it in one day at the ages of 6 and 11yrs.
If they can do it.. you can do it..

coops don't have to be fancy. They have to be healthy, safe and funtional.

this is a photo of the pen my kids built. The dog house needs painted, but other then that it has needed few repairs in all these years and words wonderful for the free range birds. a heat lamp can be put in through the roof of the dog house and they put a little door thing on it so at night they can shot the door and the birds are safe. simple, yet funtional.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom